I5 vs I7 in 15" Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LSUtigers03, Oct 14, 2010.

1. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Can someone tell me in layman terms what is the difference between the two?

2. porterusaf macrumors member

I had the i7, it's awesome, super fast... but I hardly ever used the power it had unless I was play Starcraft 2. Other than that it was probably a waste of money... thus why I sold it for an i7 iMac.

3. LSUtigers03 thread starter macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

How is the base level 15" i5 in terms of playing games?

4. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

Again, there are quite a few threads on the subject but as long as you aren't looking to play Crysis via Bootcamp on High settings, it should be fine.

If you want it, get the i7.

5. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I have had numerous friends ask if they should get the i7 instead of the i5 and here are my reasons why I think the i7 upgrade is a great deal:

-If you plan to keep you MBP for a long while the i7 will allow your MBP to remain faster in the long run.

-People will complain now that its a waste of money and that the speed isn't that great but it may come in handy down the road. It will make 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9 faster and who knows what software you might be using in the future.

-The cost is roughly $150 if you are a student and $200 for a regular customer. I think that it is a good investment in your MBP for longevity as well as resale value should you decide to sell it later on for a new model.

-No matter how you state it, analyze it, review it, criticize it, argue it; the i7 is a faster CPU than the i5. Its also not upgradeable so its a decision that has to be carefully made. Again, speaking from the perspective of a long term purchase, I think its a good deal.

Good luck!

-P

6. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

i7 gives you the flexibility should more games come out in the future that would benefit from having it. It's the old addage-by the time you buy a computer it is already out of date.

7. stoveguy macrumors member

8. CorporateFelon macrumors regular

CorporateFelon

The CPU is soldered to the logic board.

9. deus ex machina macrumors regular

The speed relevance appears in video work, not so much with gaming. For what it is (the 330M), the GPU does a fair job for gaming.

As for the price, the base i5 can be had for 1529.00 for Apple's refurb store. The i7 would be 1869.00. The price difference also includes a larger hard drive and more VRAM.

The extra monies could go to the purchase of a third party SSD, which would give a more noticeable improvement in overall feel of the machine. The parts attached to the motherboard, such as the CPU, GPU and VRAM, cannot be upgraded.

10. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

if you arennt hardcore then go with i5, otherwise go with i7.

personally my i7 mbp is still not fast enough, but i guess you lose some power when converting a cpu for mobile use.