i5 vs i7 on heat & noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by emils, Jun 1, 2010.

1. emils macrumors newbie

I'm currently on a MBP 15" (spring '07) and have changed fans once. Everyone is talking about performance on blogs and forums but I haven't found much written about how loud the new MBPs are.

To buy a new laptop is a long term commitment. I'm pretty annoyed with my current MBP since its so loud. The fans are spinning almost spinning on max RPM the whole work day (running a web browser + photoshop or text editor on an external 23").

Is the i5 a better choice in the long term since it is slower and not as hot as the i7 (I'm guessing here.. no facts). I care more about noise than performance.

What do you think? btw. I'm going for the SSD 128 option.

2. Mirabella macrumors regular

My i7 17" MBP is running fairly cool and quiet. I've been doing lots of converting raw files in Adobe Camera RAW, and working on them in Photoshop. The CPU temp is staying around 35-40 degrees C. The fans are spinning around 2,000.

The bottom of the case feels just slightly warm – not enough to complain about, and much cooler than my 2006 MBP or my 2002 Powerbook. The top of the case feels cool.

The fan noise is just barely audible, and not bothersome for me.

3. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

To tell you the truth, this i5 runs so quietly I have to check iStat to make sure the fans are running...I never hear the fans or the HD on this thing...quietest laptop I have ever owned...:confused:

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I have the i7 with a 7200 HD and have had it about a month now and havent noticed any noise.