i5 vs i7? Opinions if worth the $$ upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TLmac, Feb 24, 2015.

1. TLmac macrumors member

http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...nch-macbook-pro-24ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5

This is the Mac Book I have decided I'm getting. My ? is, is the upgrade from i5 to i7 worth the $330 difference?

I think I prefer the 13' screen b/c I have an HP and I like the smaller size better (I am currently on a 2008 15" Toshiba and it's big/bulky and heavy (although I know a 15" Mac would be much thinner than my Toshiba).

My budget is about $15-1800 but I'd like that to be an "out the door" number. After adding Apple Care and a case.

I used to use Microsoft Office but I've been using Google Docs/Sheets so I don't think I will need to purchase Office for Mac (I'm hoping anyway).

http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...-20ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say for office apps, and other similar type activities, you'll not notice the i7. I'd save the money if it were me.

3. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Not worth it for the CPU alone as the i7 is only about 5-6% faster. You'd never notice the difference.

The i7 is the same design chip as the i5, just clocked faster and with a bit more cache RAM. Better to invest the money in more RAM or a bigger SSD.

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I'd say it mainly comes down to screen size, either one would work fine for light usage (Office, web browsing/email, iTunes, etc.) and there wouldn't be much of a difference for those tasks.

If you're fine with a 13" screen then get that.

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

I second that. Any macbook in 2015 works equally fine for Office.

6. TLmac thread starter macrumors member

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Without knowing your use case

..... we are just assuming that it is mainly office apps, web browsing and media consumption. In which case a chromebook would do what you want with little hassle so I'd say go with the 13 inch especially as you like the screen size.

One note of warning if you plan on using chrome as your web browser it is a bit of a pig on OSX but if you aren't doing much else at the same time it'll be fine...

8. TLmac thread starter macrumors member

I will be doing Office documents word and excel (work)

Pictures, videos, web browsing, music, email (basically the basics but I am over Windows PC's and have been advised a Mac will last longer without the same amount of issues.

I have been advised on here before about a Chromebook...Haven't really looked into them yet to compare.

I need a reliable computer that isn't going to have as many issues I've had with Windows.

If I did the Mac, what browser do you advise? Currently I am using Chrome as a browser.

9. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Safari.

10. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

What redheeler said

Safari is apples browser and optimised for their software, Many people still use chrome and it'll work ok but add in a flash video, 20 pages open and a couple of apps in the background and it's rampant CPU usage may be an issue...

i would recommend you experiment with safai, chrome and firefox and settle on what is best for you..

11. TLmac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the Safari reminder....DUH..I should have known that as I have an Iphone 5...but I wasn't thinking of that as I was thinking browser on my computer, not phone! ;)

12. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

You might miss the features that are exclusive for Chrome though. I still use Chrome but when doing a lot of research stuff, I use Safari as it uses less RAM for each tab and allows my other apps to work without lag.

13. OS X Dude macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

Well, the i7 proper is a true quad-core processor whereas the i5 series is dual-core. Non-issue in the 13", as both are dual-core processors.

14. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Both are i7s, Intel don't differentiate in the branding. I find it's a common misconception that i7 always equals quad core.

15. technosix macrumors 6502a

This is excellent advice above.

Simply because I do scientific work via very resource intense software, requiring as much power and speed as possible I use a new 15" MBPr i7 chock full of ram.

Some of my fellow engineers at work doing less demanding yet still very complex tasks are using i5 powered MBPr's with great results. Apple has created a very good laptop that will serve you very well.