i5 vs i7 temperature

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Tjosansa, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Tjosansa macrumors regular

Tjosansa

Im thinking of buying an i7 iMac.
    I play fps games and that will make the cpu work a lot.
    Is there a big difference between i5 and i7 in heat while in hard work?

I want a silent computer. Thats what really matters to me.

2. elithrar macrumors 6502

elithrar

i5 vs. i7 won't be an issue with games—few games are CPU bottlenecked.

If you are serious about gaming the only future-proof option is the top-end 27" iMac with either the standard 675MX or (better) 680MX.

3. NbinHD macrumors 6502

Specifically what iMac were you looking at. As far as im concerned, for gaming the GPU or graphics processing unit is alot more important than a higher powered CPU - the cpu wont do much in terms of performance for gaming.

4. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

None whatsoever. Both are 77W parts.

5. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

they are both the same more or less as far as temperatures go - as long as you dont over clock it, which isnt possible on these iMacs i think, you will be good.

and yes, i7 will not make any difference for gaming, better graphics card will.

6. Mac32, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013

Mac32 macrumors 6502a

YES, there is a difference in temperature. A few degrees celsius hotter with the i7 CPU during max load. However, if necessary you can disable the turbo boost function (typically during gaming where both the CPU and GPU become very hot). I don't think you'll get a clear answer as far as noise goes i5 vs i7, as noone here has compared noise levels in both iMac models. What I can say that in OSX, you'll have to push the CPU pretty hard for the fan to rev up - I'm using the 3.4ghz i7 CPU.

From what I've understood, i7 will probably give you more smooth/instant reaction when doing very intense multitasking, but otherwise the difference is only noticable when doing decoding and other similar tasks. As far as gaming, remember that anything other than 1440p will look like crap, and 1440p is a very demanding resolution for a gfx card. Because of this fact, the bottleneck will be the 680MX, not the CPU. There are very few occations at present time where hyperthreading actually makes a difference in games. Maybe with games designed for the next console generation, noone knows...

7. Tjosansa thread starter macrumors regular

Tjosansa

Yes im going for the 680mx model. But i wait for the next imac and hoping for 780mx. I know there is no such card out yet but the same was for the 680mx when it came, i was told.

Does 1920*1080 really look like crap in games on an imac 27"?

8. Haseo macrumors newbie

Imo it does look pretty bad. It is certainly playable, no doubt about that, but things are not crystal clear and are a little blurred or out of focus looking.

As for the original question -- I have the current gen imac fully maxxed out with 680mx and i7. I have never had a problem with it overheating even while playing demanding games on high.

I will mention however that when playing graphically intensive games, the fans do turn on to maximum speed and you can hear them audibly if it is a quiet game. The machine itself still remains cool to the touch though.

9. Mac32 macrumors 6502a

Yes, one should turn the fans up at a static high speed (typically 2500rpm in the latest most demanding games) to avoid very high temperatures. Therefore I recommend gaming with a high quality closed headphones set, so the fan noise doesn't become an issue quiet parts of the game.

10. Tjosansa thread starter macrumors regular

Tjosansa

"one should turn the fans up at a static high speed"
    what does that mean? it does it auto right?

11. FreemanW macrumors 6502

You may control the fan with applications such as iStat.

It would be easier to have a cool environment where ambient temps are moderate to cool, and use good headphones with noise canceling ability.

12. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

It does, dont mess with the system. iMacs are dead quite under load, at least my 2011 was. 2012 should be even better.