i5 vs i7- what is the difference?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbarol, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Breedlove macrumors regular

2. tmoerel macrumors 6502

And you are basing your advice on what??? As long as you don't know what someone needs there mac for how can you judge what they need.

If for example a developer saves 30 seconds each time he compiles an application with Xcode, this can add up greatly on the course of a day. Using a faster i7 might result in this saving!!

Please only advise people when you have the right information!

3. durkkin macrumors regular

Read the link Breedlove posted. If you're simply wondering about the difference in a laptop, i7 has a higher turbo boost and hyperthreading for any number of cores. i5 only supports 4 cores, either a native quad core or a hyperthreaded dual core (resulting in 4 virtual cores). As far as the i5 vs i7 in the 13" Pros, really the only difference is clock speed. The quad cores that come in the 15" the i7 will hyperthread providing 8 virtual cores, the i5 is stuck at 4 real cores.

4. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Unless you know you need some feature the i7 has (they often have advanced virtualization additions as well as the higher clock rate and hyperthreading on the quad cores) its probably not worth upgrading from the base CPU.

For most people, you'll get far more performance improvement most of the time (yes there will be rare times where an i7 would speed up anyone's stuff, but most CPUs spend their time 90+ percent idle with most people) by spending the money on RAM or SSD instead.

5. Breedlove macrumors regular

You think a developer would not know the difference between i5 and i7?

Is it not reasonable to think that any responsible professional whose work hinges upon CPU processing power would know this distinction?

I think I made a logically sound assumption in giving this advice.

6. jbarol thread starter macrumors newbie

7. tmoerel macrumors 6502

Making assumptions can lead to all kinds of conflicts..... Knowledge is knowing the right answers, Intelligence is asking the right questions!!

8. cybergibbons macrumors newbie

For the 13", the three CPUs are virtually identical in features:
    http://ark.intel.com/compare/75991,75990,75992

Compared to the mid range i5, i7 is faster and has more cache.

Compared to the mid range i5, the low range i5 is slower, both main CPU and graphics.

9. Breedlove macrumors regular

Knowledge regardless of whether or not it is "right" is still knowledge. Even if the knowledge in question is shown to be wrong, it can only be said to have been uninformed or faulty; it is knowledge nonetheless.

Intelligence is merely a factor of how you process information. One's perception or belief regarding intelligence is inevitably subjective. Though I will admit that asking the right questions can sometimes be intelligent, intelligence as a whole is a much more expansive concept than you purport.

Not making assumptions can lead to just as many kinds of conflicts and in many cases can be detrimental.

Admittedly I did make assumptions - which seems to be the source of your contention - in my initial post but I did provide a link so that OP could make his or her own educated decision. This, I believe, is sufficient to have rendered my assumption harmless.

Notwithstanding your grandiose views on cognitive capability, I don't see how you can just claim I was wrong to assume without sufficiently addressing the actual assumption made.

If I have offended you, I apologize for my abrasive behavior.

P.S: You might consider a career with Hallmark as your statements thus far have suggested a strong affinity towards inspirational quotes and greeting-card worthy statements! (The assumption I am making here is that Hallmark values such individuals and relies upon them to stock their stores with cards, stationary, decorations, et al. Feel free to attack this assumption as you wish. But I'd also like to make a second assumption here that we are intelligent enough to make our own decisions and to realize that this postscript was written in jest).

Cheers

10. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Yeah, i was speaking in general terms, not specifically with regards to the MBA.

And in general terms, most people would be fine with a celeron from 2005 for the stuff they spend most of their time doing, assuming it had enough RAM.

11. Stef4n macrumors regular

I love students writing that saving some seconds is worth the 200+ upgrade :rolleyes:

Just don't upgrade (valid for 99% of the cases) and your parents/you save/s 200 bugs.

12. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

It's not all students who want something faster, although I find it funny when students write "I'm a Computer Science student and need something really fast'". I was a CS student and wrote code on 2.66 Pentium 2 and that was more than enough power to compile even a few hundred lines of code by term's end.

AutoCAD and some later applications are different because some of these are more resource intensive and while an i5 is more than sufficient to run these apps, who really only runs 1 or 2 apps. I'm barely doing any work now and have 4 browser sessions open with a total of 17 tabs. Add real work and your machine can stutter a bit.

Whether they spend $200 on an upgrade that may not be deemed necessary, it's their money and their choice.