Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jmgilliam18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2017
About ready to pull the trigger on my first ever Mac and going with the MacBook Pro.

Budget is so that I need 16 gb Ram and 256 is good but am not sure about processor. I can go with 2.4 i5 or 1.7 i7 and stay in budget. The 2.8i7 upgrade blows it.

If you had to pick with those which is best? I don’t know enough about i5 vs i7 to know which.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
The 2.4 i5 and 1.7 i7 are 2 completely different machines. The former is a 4TB3 model, the latter has 2TB3 ports.

4TB3 vs 2TB3
- More TB3 ports
- Better graphics
- Better Wifi
- Better speakers
- 2 fans vs 1 fan
- Faster SSD (at 256GB difference is less than at 128 GB)

Check this thread and the "similar threads" section at the end of the page. The general consensus appears to be that the 2.4 is the better bet.

Last edited:
Reactions: myscrnnm

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
ghanwani is right. The i7 model you've listed is the entry level MBP that previously had no Touch Bar. What kind of applications are you planning to run on your MBP?

Jmgilliam18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2017
ghanwani is right. The i7 model you've listed is the entry level MBP that previously had no Touch Bar. What kind of applications are you planning to run on your MBP?

I run a digital ads agency so facebook business manager, some light graphics stuff, very light Canva type stuff, but keep tons of tabs/windows open, setting up stuff. Use landing page builders that load templates, etc, and also run two 27" Dell Monitors.

So pretty much everything is online web stuff.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
I run a digital ads agency so facebook business manager, some light graphics stuff, very light Canva type stuff, but keep tons of tabs/windows open, setting up stuff. Use landing page builders that load templates, etc, and also run two 27" Dell Monitors.

So pretty much everything is online web stuff.
With those requirements in mind, I would choose the 4TB3 model with the 2.4GHz i5 if both of your options are priced at $1,999.

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2015
Just buy one off eBay with AppleCare. $2k for a 13” without even a dedicated GPU. Just flat wrong at that price point.

Jmgilliam18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2017
Just buy one off eBay with AppleCare. $2k for a 13” without even a dedicated GPU. Just flat wrong at that price point.

I mean a Dell xps at that spec is almost 1700 - and I prefer not to have the old keyboard in an older model from what I've read...

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
The 2.4 i5 and 1.7 i7 are 2 completely different machines. The former is a 4TB3 model, the latter has 2TB3 ports.

4TB3 vs 2TB3
- More TB3 ports
- Better graphics
- Better Wifi
- Better speakers
- 2 fans vs 1 fan
- Faster SSD (at 256GB difference is less than at 128 GB)

Check this thread and the "similar threads" section at the end of the page. The general consensus appears to be that the 2.4 is the better bet.

Pretty much nails it...

Macintoshrumors

Suspended
Oct 18, 2016

i wouldnt trust EBAY . id prefer the scope out the apple refub section on the site for the model he wants . not only is it practically new, with new parts, they come with the same 1yr warranty . something a second hand off of ebay will never have .

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2015
I mean a Dell xps at that spec is almost 1700 - and I prefer not to have the old keyboard in an older model from what I've read...
You only pay full price if you choose too. There’s a big difference between $1700
i wouldnt trust EBAY . id prefer the scope out the apple refub section on the site for the model he wants . not only is it practically new, with new parts, they come with the same 1yr warranty . something a second hand off of ebay will never have .

What are you talking about? You can buy a unit with AppleCare that is transferable not to mention if something has an issue you can just demand a refund.

I’ve heard all the trust issues from people with foil hats and 20yrs later haven’t had a single issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.