i7 15" MBP *hot* when running windows

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rickeames, May 17, 2010.

1. rickeames macrumors regular

I have been running in bootcamp today and not doing much of anything other than browsing and setting up outlook and the bottom of this thing is SUPER hot. Is that the nvidia card doing that? Geeeez it's hot.

2. Jonathon McMast macrumors member

is it hot enough to fry an egg on? if you spin the mac round and crack an egg on it the base does it cook? try not to get any egg inside the machine, this will break it and make it smell.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Probably. You'll find that the Apple drivers for Windows are not... good, to put it mildly. My late 2006 MBP actually runs better using Windows update to get the latest drivers, than when I installed Apple's bootcamp drivers.

tl;dr: You got a mac, not a PC, and Apple treats Windows like a 2nd class citizen - don't expect to be able to run Windows well.

4. rickeames thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I also noticed the battery life is also crappy -- wondering if I should uninstall the Apple drivers and see about generic ones. I have to be able to run Windows decently without frying my man bits.

5. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

Windows does run slightly hotter than OS X, but I think it may be power management more than anything else.

6. prism macrumors 6502a

Hey, its Mr. Rev B. who thinks that waiting forever will resolve problems, LOL.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would not put it past apple to make it run hotter and have problems running windows to make it "appear" how much windows sucks.

Apple plays dirty. The fact that generic windows drivers work better than apples is proof of that dirty playing.

8. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

I had about seven BSODs the first day I installed Windows on my new MBP and was installing software and firewire and USB hardware. It was really disappointing. (I haven't gotten a BSOD since, i.e. 2 days, however)

Sort of ironic considering Apple used to say that Macs were better at running Windows than PCs were.

9. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Well... Thats very clear, because Windows

It will makes it hot and decrease the batter lift~ You should know that from day 1 :D

10. bitninja macrumors regular

bitninja

I had a few lockups while getting it all set up and installing all of my dev tools, but it hasn't happened since. Runs like a dream. Touchpad driver is REALLY sensitive with tap-to-click turned on, though...

Haven't had any extreme heat issues but it does most certainly run hotter than OS X. Windows power management = for the lose.

11. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

Doesn't it seem sort of bizarre? Why does the computer have trouble on the first day, and then run fine?

Whats the touchpad driver called? I think my crashes were somehow related to wdf010000.sys or some such

You should make a graphics switching app for Windows ;)
    That would definitely improve battery life and heat

12. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Jajaja. GOod Oneee :D

13. bitninja macrumors regular

bitninja

Definitely...I'm not sure what was up with that. But I'm not complaining, it works fine now. If it's ever a problem I'll just get some RAM from Newegg and bump up to 8GB, then just run Windows in a VM if I need.

I'm not quite sure what the touchpad driver is called, but I've seen similar BSODs on older MBPs running Windows.

I'd love to make a switching app for Windows! I just have absolutely no idea how to go about doing it. I do mainly .NET development...I've never done any Windows device driver kind of stuff. It's worth looking into, though. Can't be any more difficult than OS X driver/kext development. I hate that it just uses the 330M all the time. MS is eating all of my battery life! D:

14. Jonathon McMast macrumors member

Grow up.

15. rickeames thread starter macrumors regular

For those of you who have done this, how do I uninstall the Apple Drivers?

Is there a good driver for the multitouch trackpad for windows that I can use so I can at least do useful things?

Or are there just specific drivers I should give the finger to?

16. mark28 macrumors 68000

Is it possible to install Windows without bootcamp?

This is because I don't trust Apple when it comes to Windows or Linux ( they are really anti-Linux aswell )

17. bitninja macrumors regular

bitninja

It's not like Boot Camp keeps reign over Windows or anything...if anything it's just a partitioning tool and a boot manager. Windows runs natively. If you really don't want to install and use it natively, you can always install it in a virtual machine with software like Parallels Desktop or VirtualBox. VMs will never perform as well as a native install, though.