i7 15" Rattle inside - problem? Or?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mediaprodguy, Apr 16, 2010.

1. mediaprodguy macrumors member

When i move my laptop around. Every 3-4 "moves", it sounds like something moves inside my laptop. It doesn't do this every time, just about every 3-4 times i move the machine.

Thoughts?

Anyone else experiencing this?

2. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Depending on the sound it could be the accellerometer stopping the hard drive due to motion. It's fairly common and working as expected (assuming that's what you're hearing)

3. mediaprodguy thread starter macrumors member

It sounds like a click on the right hand side. I try to duplicate it immediately and am unable to. Makes you just wonder .... crap - am i going to have a warranty issue?

Anyone else have any thoughts?

4. dzine808 macrumors newbie

well i had the same "clicking" problem with my Dull XPS...and it was a hard drive issue that Dell fixed...that's why my MBP has an SSD now....:)

5. hobo.hopkins macrumors 6502a

hobo.hopkins

Accelerometer

It is the accelerometer activating and parking the head of the hard drive. You can hear the sound from the right side of the machine, beside the trackpad (where the hard drive is located).

6. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Yep. The click is from the accelerometer locking (parking) the HD so it's not damaged during rapid acceleration. They are a bit touchy but it's for the best.

7. mediaprodguy thread starter macrumors member

Cool - I appreciate everyones comments. Should i contact applecare just to be sure? LOL.

Have a great night everyone.