i7 17" mid-2010 enters numeric keypad mode

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ancient, Jan 6, 2011.

1. ancient macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a slight problem with my 17" mid-2010 i7 MPB.

Twice (once when the machine was about 3 days old, and yesterday), the machine has decided that it has a numeric keypad only (i.e. M = 0, JKL=123, UIO=456, 789 = 789, nothing else works). The problem is, as I understand it, my machine isn't meant to have such a mode.

The first time this happened I was very new to Macs, so the only solution was to do a forced power down and reboot. Yesterday I discovered that an external USB keyboard worked and allowed me to do a "proper" shutdown.

1) Does this sound like a software or hardware fault?
    2) Am I accidentally invoking numeric keypad mode with a key combo (and if so, what is the magic combo to exit the mode)?
    3) Has anyone else had a similar experience. When I reported this to Apple originally, they had no idea what might have happened, and just had me reset the PRAM (I think - it involved an awful key combo during power up).

2. ancient thread starter macrumors newbie

Any ideas?

I hate to bump my own post, but since it was posted at an odd time, it might have been ignored ;)

Am I right in assuming that no one else has had the same odd behaviour? :confused:

3. womblefish macrumors newbie

I have the same problem

I have the same problem on a late 2010 MacBook. The best solution I have found is to share screen from another Mac and use that to cleanly restart.