i7 2.66 vs 2.8

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vodouman, Jan 8, 2011.

1. vodouman macrumors regular

Hi guys,

As of today I can afford to buy a new laptop for university. I can't decide between the i7 2.66 vs 2.8ghz. I have been hunting around on google and I did a few searches here on the forums - perhaps i'm searching for the wrong thing.

Is there any benefit for going for the 2.8. Benefits in any sense e.g. Long term as the laptop ages or perhaps substancial benefits whilst gaming or speedier compile times in Xcode or Visual studio... (I'm a games developer)

Cheers,

Luke

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

2.8GHz is ~5% faster in CPU intensive tasks. Not worth the 200$

3. vodouman thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the speedy response ;) I know you're a bit of a guru here on the forums so I trust you :p

Luke

4. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Are any of the MBP Intel i7 CPUs quad core? If so, which Intel model # like i7 720, 740, 820, etc...? What's the model # for the i5 versions? Apple doesn't list this anywhere I can see.

Cheers,

5. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

None of them are Quad Cores. The i5 ones though are 540M or something IIRC.

6. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

That's what I thought. Not much more powerful for the average user than the C2D in the 13".

Thanks for that prompt response.

Cheers,

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

2.4GHz i5 = i5-520M
    2.53GHz i5 = i5-540M
    2.66GHz i7 = i7-620M
    2.8GHz i7 = i7-640M

All those are dual core :( Quad core would have QM or XM (XM for Extreme models) in the end. All are i7: 720QM, 740QM, 820QM, 840QM, 920XM, 940XM. Same applies to Sandy Bridge, quad cores have QM, QE or XM in the end. I suggest you to see these two Wikipedia tables, they tell you the most ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i7_microprocessors#Mobile_processors
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i5_microprocessors#Mobile_processors

Sandy Bridge has not been added to there yet but it will

8. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Perfect, thank you very much. I don't understand why Apple doesn't list the actual part numbers like everyone else does. I didn't even realize this until my co-worker just called from the Apple store asking if there was a significant difference between the 13 & 15. My first response was i7=quad core but I started looking and couldn't confirm that. I guess for her there is not that much difference.

Thanks again,

9. mark28 macrumors 68000

The i7 uses more power than the i5 which is bad for battery life. This same could hold true for the 2.8 ghz vs 2.66 ghz. You might want to do some research. ( I haven't seen the numbers yet for the 2.8 ghz i7 )

10. clostylez macrumors newbie

ive got the 15" i7 2.8ghz in my mbp... had it now for about 2 weeks, with the student discount i just upgraded to the 2.8ghz processor. no regrets its very fast no complaints so far.. battery life is 6hrs+ for normal computing 4-5 for heavy browsing and bout 2 hrs on gaming. oh btw i added 7200rpm hd for $50

i know you cant really "future proof" your machine but i think this will be alright for a few years. Its my first mac I passed on apple care perhaps i should get that later on this year? what do you guys think ?

11. Mac Composer macrumors member

If you're planning on keeping this computer for 3 years or more, then I would definitely get Applecare.

On both of my previous laptops I had display issues within the last 3 months of the Applecare warranty. In both cases Applecare replaced the screen and both computers still work today.

12. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

If you have extra money, get the 640. If you are on a budget, spend that $200 on a solid state drive, 8 gigs of RAM, a good case, or something along those lines which are a better bang for the buck.