i7 2015 rMBP 13" Owners -> CPU Heat

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 8tm, Apr 15, 2015.

1. 8tm macrumors member

Hi there ! If any 2015 i7 owners could give me a little feedback on their computers, it would be appreciated.

I've got the 13" i7/16GB/512 for a week now & I'm pretty happy with it but i started noticing that my CPU temps are always high, even for simple tasks like safari etc..

I got the 2015 updated iStats and it shows a minimum iddle temp of 50° Celsius & around 80° most of the time operating... Like right now i've got Ableton Live & Pop Corn time in the background. Both on pause. 38% of cpu usage and my temps are 75°. Seems too much to me :/

After an SMC reset the fans seemed to calm down a bit , they were often spinning at 6000rpm for extended periods :O

The laptop don't feel unusualy hot tho. Compared to my mid-2012 cMBP.

But i'm pretty concerned with those temps.. What are you experiencing ?

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. cbautis2, Apr 15, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2015

cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

Completely normal for Macs though it's alarming for someone coming out from Windoze.

On the other hand, it might be caused by a poor thermal transfer from CPU to heatsink to aluminum body. I'd get another unit for comparison to see if the other is the same.

My 2011 MBA does get that hot too so I'm not concerned.

3. 8tm thread starter macrumors member

Allright ! Thank you. I'm receiving a 2,9/16GB/512 tomorrow i'm gonna try & see. :)

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

You can search the forum, there are thousands of threads regarding temperature on this subforum alone.

Your temps are perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. The computer has failsafes should anything get too toasty.

5. 8tm thread starter macrumors member

Yes i did search the forums for this issue. But not much posts about this recent i7 core gen. I was wondering. Thank you !

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

The recipe for a MBP was always to stick a very powerful processor in a tiny space with minimal ventilation. So long as Apple keeps doing this, they'll stay as hot as the previous years.

7. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

This would annoy me. My i5 13 rMBP sits at 30's and 40's always. When i boot up the one game i do play (which i played on Windows) it gets to 58 max reading. My AMD older Windows machine was at 60 with the same game.

The only thing that annoys me a little is this 58 is felt around the keyboard. My ex Windows machine blew through a vent on the side. My HP slave hides its heat well whilst running at 60 on the same game.

Right now with safari, email and the twitter client app its mem bank a1 is the highest reading at 41 the fan is at 1323rpm.

My game pushes it to 2000 ish rpm.

Edit. FWIW the 2011 MBP i had really blew its fans and had a high of 90, same with a same 2011 Air. I'd say Apple improved with heat.

8. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Everything Sandy Bridge or later supports Turbo Boost. This means the processor regulates its own temperature and prevents overheating.

9. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Mine's a 3.1/16/512 configuration, and it runs really cool when idling or doing regular tasks. CPU proximity sensors never go beyond 55ºC, unless I'm using Flash content, or when doing heavy tasks like image editing or running a VM.

Attached Files:

10. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Completely normal... I wouldn't worry about it too much.

As aluminum MacBooks go, I find the current models to run quite cool to the touch in most situations. The old PowerPC based notebooks (e.g. PowerBook G4s) were several orders of magnitude hotter. My 15" PBG4 would literally roast my lap under heavier loads (and back then, a heavier load was playing an SD YouTube video).