i7 3.0 Ghz vs i5 2.5 Ghz on Retina MBP? More heat? Less battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maccuser, Feb 22, 2013.

1. maccuser macrumors member

Does i7 3.0 ghz produce more heat and consume more battery compared to i5 2.5 ghz?

Any help would be appreciated to understand the difference bw the two besides being faster

This is in regards to retina MBP...

2. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

I recently got the 3.0 - I'll let you know later what the battery time says after I unplug it after the charge is 100% so you can compare to someone who might chime in who has the 2.5.

3. cirus macrumors 6502a

seriously doubt there will be much battery life difference. In power saver made both should clock down to about 1.2 GHz and consume the same amount of power. Under load the i7 will consume more power but most people don't load the laptops when unplugged.

4. maccuser thread starter macrumors member

Does CPU go up to 3.0 ghz with watching flash content? does that mean more heat?

5. tivoboy macrumors 68030

15"

With the original 15" units, people and blogs were reporting that the 2.3 was showing actually more battery life than the 2.6 and 2.7 models. It makes a BIT of sense, but not the 1-2 hours additional that people were reporting.

6. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

It wont use the all the CPU power.
    If it needs more power than 3.0GHz, it will go to Turbo boost mode.
    Flash would only consume few hundred MHz if I remember correctly.

7. maccuser thread starter macrumors member

My friend has the 2.5 and I have the 3.0 Ghz. Is it normal that my 3.0 ghz feels a bit warmer to touch than the 2.5 in the back center?
    This is w/ very simple tasks

8. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Its very normal.
    Tbh, dont worry about heat.
    A lot people complained and worried about Mac's "overheating" but it gets warm because its a strong computer.
    It wont overheat because Mac will shut itself down when it reaches the limit.

Im watching a video right now and have MR and couple other apps open and is around 45~50C.

9. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

So when I unplug the power, it reads ~6 hrs with safari, chrome, itunes and mail open. Not sure yet of actual use how much time I'd get out of the battery.