i7 620m multi-threaded performance?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by instabusto, Apr 14, 2010.

1. instabusto macrumors member

I'm in a bit of a pickle here,

I currently have an early 2008 17" 2.5ghz mbp and am in need of an upgrade to get more juice out of logic pro.

Given that logic pro is able to use all the logical/virtual cores your computer can throw at it, that would be the most crucial part, how much of a boost would the hyperthreading give me?

If i'd get closer to 100% performance boost compared to my 2 year old c2d, then it would be worth it, but 50% or less is not worth the money and i have to wait for the mac pro and go overkill with that one.

iMac is not an option because it only offers one fw800 and no expresscard so expandability is worse than 17"mbp(isnt that funny)

So... help me out here guys :cool:

2. instabusto thread starter macrumors member

3. giggleface macrumors newbie

won't be that much faster. the core i7 620 is only a dual core cpu with hyperthreading (tricks) so the OS thinks it has 4 cores. a real quad core will still be faster.

u can compare list of processor speeds here:
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

4. kayloh20 macrumors regular

I have no idea what the numbers mean, but the i7 is about 2800 and the Core2duo is about 1800 so that's more than 50%, but I don't know whether the numbers directly relate to performance.