i7/8gb/256 users on Mavericks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MacChinoNyc, Nov 11, 2013.

1. MacChinoNyc macrumors 6502

I'm curious to know what your battery life is? How is your performance on Mavericks, any beachballs? I do experience this every so often and worried when I start using photo editing software I'll see more. At the same time I'd like to future proof a bit, without taking a huge hit on battery life.

I'm on the fence and thinking of returning my i5/4gb/256 and order this as I'm still withing my return period? Would you definitely recommend this? How long would apple take to receive it?

2. ECJ macrumors 6502

ECJ

I have the i7/8GB/256GB model and on a clean install of Mavericks, it runs great. No beach balls yet. I use Illustrator and Aperture, along with the basic apps. So far so good. I had the i5/4GB/128GB version and was always watching the memory. Once I traded up, I don't look at the memory usage anymore.

3. yosemit macrumors regular

I have i7/8GB/256GB upgraded from ML to Mavericks. No problem at all. Never had chance to run the battery to 0%, the battery life is too long to exhaust! :D

4. iLuvMyMacToo macrumors regular

Clean install of Mavericks onto my i7/256GB/8GB MBA and it all runs well with about 13 hours battery time.

5. jck1634 macrumors regular

jck1634

On weekends with just light web browsing and the odd video i can make it last all day Sat-Sun on one charge.

On a workday where I use it pretty much non stop for the entire working day it can last a good 9 or 10 hours before it shuts down.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

i7/8gb/512 SSD MBA upgraded to Mavericks.. Frequent short beachballs. You have to be looking to see it though. Can't understand why 8GB ram and the PCI-e SSD would beachball if all I have running is Firefox and 1Password..

Jeez...I re-read the above paragraph, realized I misspelled Password, went back to correct, and got a beachball just as I added 1 character..

It doesn't seem to slow anything down, but why all the beachballs?

7. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

Apple programmers wish it was summer again? :D

Bad joke, I know...

8. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

I updated to Mavericks on my i7/8/256 and feel like I get better battery life. Performance seems the same...still smooth, fast and flawless.

I don't use it a lot right now, but I think the last time I had it plugged in was..Tuesday night? I'm still showing 37%/6 hours remaining and probably won't need to plug it in again until Sunday night..

I assume by beach balls you mean the loading wheel thing? I might have seen it twice, at the most, since Mavericks launched..I've been extremely happy with Mavericks.

9. dgitalchaos, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013

dgitalchaos macrumors member

I have the I7/8GB/128SSD and I upgraded to Mavericks. I was also getting the beach balls, and when I would let close the lid at 100% battery life, I'd open the lid 8 hours later to find 30% battery life.

I decided to do a fresh install (had to make a bootable usb drive with the image downloaded from the App store). Now I get much longer battery life (two extra hours), no beach balls, and when I close the lid and reopen it 8 hours later, battery is still high (around 99%).

I usually do a clean install whenever a new operating system version comes out, but the App store only allowed updates.

Edit: Oh, I get about 12 hours per charge, unless I'm using Photoshop, then about 8 hours.