i7 8gbRAM 256storage OR base 15" - help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nostalgia, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Nostalgia, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013

Nostalgia macrumors member

Hey guys,

So, taxes included, I can get the 2.8GHz 8GB RAM 256PCI-e 13" for 1785$

However, the base 15" is currently at 1749$ :eek:

I suppose I should go with the base 15" (?) It´s quad-core vs dual-core and has better graphics card (iris pro vs iris).

My uses are browsing with 15+ tabs (one of them streaming music from youtube for example), word/ppt/excel, watching movies, light gaming (f2p fps mostly), mail, downloading stuff, itunes, photoshop...

I would be moving it around in university, but I don´t mind carrying around the 15" if it means better overall performance therefore a more enjoyful experience using it.

But if for my needs the 13inch is enough (in a 5year+ term!!) then I´ll get that one. But I´m here seeking help exactly for that.

Thanks!

2. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

If you were to get the 13", I'd recommend you get extra ram instead of a better processor.

3. Nostalgia thread starter macrumors member

Why?

I find the difference between the 2.4 to the 2.8 i7 to be quite something, or not?

And I guess 8gb of RAM would surely suit more than enough my needs, even though, there is no such thing as too much ram these days ahahah.

4. bookwormsy macrumors 6502

IMO, i'd get the 15. I feel like that extra screen space would be helpful for the Photoshop. And in today's world, that extra bump in CPU only matters in heavy applications, like video editing, modeling, Folding@Home, etc.

5. MaclandValhalla, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013

MaclandValhalla macrumors member

MaclandValhalla

The base 15" models tend to have yellow, splotchy screens (just do a Google search, or even a search of this forum). The 13" models are your safest bet until the Broadwells are released. The 13" screens are nearly flawless, albeit a bit smaller than the 15" screens.

Disclaimer: I have a yellow, slightly splotchy 15" model. I'm keeping it because I need a larger screen, and I don't want to risk getting a worse model if I do an exchange. I just avoid looking at the bottom-left corner, which isn't too difficult considering most of the content is in the middle of the screen. :D