i7 air vs i7 rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by greenbreadmmm, Mar 9, 2015.

1. greenbreadmmm, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015

greenbreadmmm macrumors regular

So I know there aren't any benchmarks yet..BUT curious y'alls opinion.

Lets say I don't care about retina and strictly comparing performance.

The air is 2.2/3.2 (turbo'd) and the rmbp is 3.1/3.4.

The graphics are hd 6000 and hd 6100

Is it safe to assume that these two laptops will perform almost identical, as the extra graphics power will be canceled out by pushing more pixels on retina?

On the processor side they are almost identical...The only thing I could think of is how they handle load. The air has less power to split between cpu and gpu, so maybe it wont work at full turbo as long? Or will the broadwell cpus keep cool longer, allowing it to run at full turbo under load?

Is it possible the new air i7 is just more efficient than its 28w pro version and that the air will perform just as good, just as long?

Any input would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

2. Raunien macrumors 6502

The i7 on the retina will still be faster due to the fact that the air is ULV.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

This

The rMBP will be faster all round, will it make any difference to you??? Probably not but without knowing the use case it's difficult to tell.

Also the i7 is only about 5% faster then the i5 and makes no real world difference to performance unless you peg all your cores 100% for long periods.

By the way the retina screen is the best reason for the MBP everything is so much nicer to work on read and interact with that I'd take a slight computing power drop in order to have it it's that good.

4. fisha macrumors regular

If its basic office type work including browsing, then your really not going to notice that much of a difference between either. The retina models work just fine under normal use compared to non-retina.

For example, if your work involves typing up essays, or office work, maybe even basic photo editing then the bottleneck of speed will generally be you and how fast you type, cause between every keystroke you press, the CPU is backing off into idle, it takes so little time to deal with your keypress and display the letter on screen, that its twiddling its thumbs waiting for the next one.

With that in mind, then it doesn't really matter whether one CPU is faster than another ... both are still way faster than your input and so both present as being snappy, responsive machines.

5. greenbreadmmm, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015

greenbreadmmm thread starter macrumors regular

Appreciate all the input. I am a graphic designer, but I work almost exclusively in illustrator and indesign (very rarely photoshop anything)

Having said that i went into the store today, liked the form factor of the air better, as well as the non reflective screen. Also, felt the screen was more than fine.

BUT everyones saying CPU is better on retina...and the 16gb would help down the road...but something about the airs lightness and looks I like more

I think I'm gonna go pro tho...but no rush, gonna wait for more real world reviews to come in.

ALSO, I should add I have a maxed out iMac 27" for the heavy lifting, so this isn't my only comp. I just need so I can work places besides my desk ha