i7 and ADC discount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sheareb, Dec 27, 2009.

1. sheareb macrumors member

Hi all, I am considering buying a new i7 before the VAT increase in the UK. I read in other forums that by joining the ADC program you are entitles to a one time only discount. The ADC membership elegible seems o be $499 (£332) which is quite hefty. As I am purchasing the unit for iPhone development I would need to join the $99 program anyway but wondered what level of discount the higher membership gives on hardware? would it be worth enrolling at the higher level to purchase an i7+applecare?

. .

2. chill. macrumors 6502

this should be pretty easy to figure out.... can you not look up the prices for yourself?

3. sheareb thread starter macrumors member

lol, perhaps I should have mentioned I dont seem to be able to see the UK ADC pricing for hardware.... can see the US ones and its borderline.

If anyone can find out the ADC price of an I7 I would be most greateful!!

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Just to note that if this is for personal use then the price you pay will almost certainly be the same before or after the VAT increase.

I don't know what you mean by "an i7", if it is a Mac Pro then its like 20% off the main unit and less off the additional upgrades. iMacs were lower the last time I looked, maybe 15% now. Call Apple and ask, just because it isn't readily available online doesn't mean it is a mystery.

5. sheareb thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, dont really understand... are you saying that you dont expect Apple to increase their prices by 2.5% as I would expect them and most retailers as to (even though not all actually reduced it!)

Chatted with someone at apple who couldnt assist and gave me the US link for ADC.. dont know if that means you have to buy from US in $$$sss

Sorry, by i7 I meant an i7 iMac 27 inch

6. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Apple won't increase prices. They lowered them when the change happened and when they released new models they put the prices back up. All that will happen is they will lower the non-VAT price, but for consumers it'll stay the same.

The US program is different to the UK one. There is one central page for the purchase of ADC membership which is in US currency, but it'll add it to a local cart (£299 in the UK). To buy your system in the UK you have to contact a sales person. In the US they have a special online store. Discount on the iMac is probably similar to the higher education discount which is around 15% I believe. Regular student discount is 12%, but I doubt it is that low. As you can see you aren't saving any real money on non-Pro systems.

7. gilljoy macrumors member

i've a question,

is the £332 entitlement the same for an ADC Student member?

8. sheareb thread starter macrumors member

I dont think so... think a student membership seems to only be $99.

I am actually going to do an evening course on CSS/Flash which is one of the things I want the Mac for (as I maintain websites) and, as I understand it, this would get me student membership (£59) PLUS 14% discount on an imac PLUS Applecarefor only £38 rather than £130!!!

All in all a saving of potentially £300 which would make the course cost of £82 well worth it. Also Student software pricing is incredibly cheap - Logic Studio pro for just over £100!

What I dont know is that if you are a student ADC member, are the discounts combined and greater than 14%!?

9. XxEjGxX macrumors regular

i think off the top of my head it is 20% on mac pros and like 18 on imacs [​IMG]

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

In the U.S., the $99 student membership entitles you to the same discounts. :D