Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nohg

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
Ok, so I have my new i7 ready to go. I have a copy of windows 7 ultimate. I partition and then reboot to start the installer. I select 64-bit mode (I am NOT using 32 bit ever ever ever ever!)

Then the I get into the installation, or rather, the beginning of it. The installer claims to copy the windows files over in about 3.5 seconds and then proceeds to "expand" them for 10 minutes until it says ERROR CAN'T FIND FILE I MUST NOW CLOSE. I feel a bit left out that I can't even get to the black screen that most others are encountering.

The frustrating thing is that I was able to install 7 from the very same disc to my "old" 3.06 ghz iMac 24" and it works a treat.

So I am left with two questions:

1. Any reasons beyond the obvious (disk scratches, it's clean as a whistle) that I would be unable to even get to the black screen hurdle? (which seems passable for many)

2. Anything more concrete than "by the end of the year" for some kind of fix by apple regarding this? In that same vein, is this fix even going to address Windows 7 and the issues with installation and operation on the new 27" machines?

Thanks for the responses. Or, in the event that this thread sinks, thanks anyway.

-Nohg

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
First of all, this is not a problem Apple can address, as it occurs before the Boot Camp drivers are ever installed. Secondly, if the disc is clean, then two things stand out as things to check:

1. You formatted the BOOTCAMP partition during setup, right?
2. Does your optical drive work normally with other discs?

Nohg

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
First of all, this is not a problem Apple can address, as it occurs before the Boot Camp drivers are ever installed. Secondly, if the disc is clean, then two things stand out as things to check:

1. You formatted the BOOTCAMP partition during setup, right?
2. Does your optical drive work normally with other discs?

Thanks for the response,

1. Yes, I did. I'm fairly certain that the Windows installer prevents you from continuing untl you format the Bootcamp partition.

2. My optical drive works in all other situations. Stumped me as well.

As to the Apple drivers bit, I should have been more specific. I was referencing this:

Apple Support Page said:
Apple will support Microsoft Windows 7 (Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate) with Boot Camp in Mac OS X Snow Leopard before the end of the year. This support will require a software update to Boot Camp.

Since Windows 7 is *technically* not supported at this point, I was wondering if anyone had a better idea of when it would be instead of "Sometime between now and 11:59:59 PM PST December 31, 2009"

Thanks for your response :)

Nohg

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
Update:

Thought I'd be clever and install Vista and then upgrade to 7...but the same thing happened. Insta-copy files over and then get stuck expanding them. I was so looking forward to playing some spiffy new games on this system :/

Oh well, I suppose I'll wait for Apple to do something magical or for a brainwave to occur.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.