i7 for logic pro x?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by neverhadanewton, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Joined:
    Jul 8, 2013
    Is it worth upgrading the 2013 model to an i7 model or is the i5 cpu enough for Logic?

Thanks

P.s. this is along side 8gb of ram...

2. tehsprayer macrumors member

If your using logic pro x every once and a while for nor more than 1080p resolution you should be fine.

Although if you plan on using logic pro x everyday, rendering and editing will probably be a bit smoother.

Although if you're using Logic Pro X every day for higher resolutions I would look into investing for the new rMBP when they come out.

3. neverhadanewton thread starter Guest

Judging by your response I think you may of got Logic Pro X confused the Final Cut X :)

4. mopppish macrumors 6502

Howdy.
    I figured I'd respond since the last response didn't help very much. :)
    I used Logic Pro 9 on a 2011 11" i5 Air for the last 2 years.
    It worked great and I really only thought I could use more power when I had multiple instances of say Amp Designer running. Even then, it didn't max it out, it just started to creep up kind of high on the CPU meter.
    I mixed pretty large (over 40 tracks) projects on that 11" with no problems.
    The current i5's are a bit faster than that 1.6ghz i5 I had in that machine.
    I just picked up my new 13" Macbook Air yesterday, and I went with the i7. HOWEVER, that's also because I'm entering a graduate program in music technology in the fall. I would say unless you plan to be super ambitious with massive projects and lots of CPU hungry plugins, then the i5 (with 8GB ram) will be fine.

5. mattferg macrumors 6502

The i5 will do a really good job with Logic, and be perfectly fine for almost all tasks :) But for once the i7 is actually useful in this scenario and if you want things to run a little bit faster then go for it, but if it's going to break the bank it's not necessary :)

6. electronique macrumors 6502

Sorry I can't really contribute..

It's good though to know that some are running a DAW on an Air.

I'm wanting to ditch my 2011 i7 MBP for an i7 Air.. Mainly for portability. But still wanting it to be main workstation when at home, with Propellerheads Reason 7.

7. neverhadanewton thread starter Guest

Excellent replies people :)

I also hear that Logic Pro X is more efficient with it's cpu use.

It's good to know If I don't go with an i7 everything will run ok...

8. Astrofox macrumors member

The Logic Pro X demo project by Foster the People has something like 90 tracks with effects etc and during live playback the CPU meter gets to about 2/3 at its highest point on my i7 with no audible fan noise. Not sure if that meter accounts for turbo boost etc but you should be fine with an i5 unless you are recording an orchestra ;)