Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
So, ever since I got a new MBP 15'' retina and the best available i7 CPU I'm stunned by the performance (of course SSD and 16GB Ram do their part too).

And I'm a pro user doing lots of CPU intensive tasks.

Been test rendering After Effects projects lately and it's so fast, yet CPU usage seems to be only at about 20%.

So if it's not using all it's power & cores I wonder how much more you can throw at it until the CPU usage is maxed out?

I have never been able to get it past 20-25%. My old Core2Duo was at almost 100% when I was just watching/ streaming Hulu or some YouTube.

Anyone else happy too with i7?

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Count me in too. I spent hours woking on taxes via Quickbooks and some spreadsheets and it amazes me about the lack of heat generated with the new processor and SSD.

Nice piece of hardware!

Praxis91

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
I'm running a W7 VM (4 cpus, 4gb ram) for 8-9 hours a day and I average 50-60 degrees. Sometimes it jumps to 70s, but not long IMHO.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
I am curious to see how much faster this mbp is, compared to my old mbp 15' early 2011 with 8gb ram and 256gb ssd.

zI INFINITY Iz

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2013
I'm also very impressed with my 15" rMBP CPU. Especially since it's the base 4750HQ i7 (2.0 - 3.2GHz), I didn't expect it to be this good.

Battery life could be a bit better for the base 2Ghz i7, though it's still much more then my Windows laptop colleagues get. :D

Praxis91

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
I am curious to see how much faster this mbp is, compared to my old mbp 15' early 2011 with 8gb ram and 256gb ssd.

What are your speeds in black magic? I'm around 750 in both read/write on the late 2013 with 512gb SSD.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Not a huge update from IB, but running multiple VMs [ including a server ] really puts a toll on the CPU... Amazing machine, nonetheless!! :D

Jerz

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Boston, MA
Count me in too. I spent hours woking on taxes via Quickbooks and some spreadsheets and it amazes me about the lack of heat generated with the new processor and SSD.

Nice piece of hardware!

That type of work usually doesn't generate much heat anyways.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
i've been paining over when is the right time to upgrade. i've got the early 2011 first gen quad mbp. the retina display, larger standard ssd, and ac wifi all make the haswells look appealing, but i can't shake the feeling that the actual processing oomph, which at the end of the day is most critical for my work, has only inched ahead the past few years.

i actually have the luxury of borrowing a work machine which is the latest model so i'm going to see how they stack up next to each other for my most common tasks (3d and after effects rendering). i'll maybe post any findings if this thread is still alive in a few hours ;) sounds like there are a few other people coming from the 2011s who are contemplating the upgrade as well.

to MBX, i'm curious what after effects projects you're doing. i would have expected that after effects would always throw maximum processing power behind a render and get it done quicker, rather than only use a portion of the cpu. the quad i7 should go up to 800% CPU, all cores/threads considered, so 20% makes it sound like there is a pretty severe bottleneck happening somewhere. i can't see how ram / disk speed could be an issue on the new models either. were you rendering over a network or external drive?

UPDATE:

boy was i wrong! i think i'm about sold on taking the plunge. the comparison was between:
2011 15", 2.2ghz, 16gb ram, 256 ssd (apple, not 3rd party)
2013 15", 2.0ghz, 8gb ram, 256 ssd

blender 3d cycles benchmark:
2:56 (2011) vs. 1:57 (2013)

after effects project:
3:04 (2011) vs. 2:59 (2013)

this seemed like a rather mediocre improvement, and i noticed that activity monitor reported both machines were not maxing out their cpus, so i went into AE preferences and tried turning on multiprocessing:
3:07 (2011) vs (2:09) (2013)

this was much more in line with the 3d rendering performance. i normally avoid AE multiprocessing because, as you will notice, on my current machine it tends to perform the same or worse. but the newer machine seems to really take advantage of it!

overall i was surprised to see such a noticeable real-world clock-for-clock improvement since the 2011s; the 2013 model with a slower base frequency still outpaces the old machine by almost 50%. and i'm looking at getting the 2.6ghz version, which i hope will bring even more substantial gains!

Last edited:

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
So, you think it is a good update since early 2011 model?
Performance shines? Can you estimate a percentage of better speed by your experience? (early 2011 vs late 2013)

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
So, you think it is a good update since early 2011 model?
Performance shines? Can you estimate a percentage of better speed by your experience? (early 2011 vs late 2013)

Always depends on tasks; casual use feels the same, but I'd say CPU demanding tasks are about 50% faster clock for clock.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
Wait for Broadwell, don't take the plunge yet not matter how appealing it is.
I am in love with this laptop and it easily is one of the best purchases I've ever made but Maxwell and Broadwell will really boost this machine to a yet even higher level of excellence.

Praxis91

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
I am in love with this laptop and it easily is one of the best purchases I've ever made but Maxwell and Broadwell will really boost this machine to a yet even higher level of excellence.

Do you think that the jump from Haswell to Broadwell is more significant than going from Ivy Bridge to Haswell?

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008

I feel like this advice varies greatly on the user. Broadwell might still be the better part of a year away. If you're a more casual user looking to future proof, it makes sense, but if you are pushing your system to the max on a daily basis, my gut feeling is it's better to get the system that's going to make your work easier *now*. For me, 50% faster test renders could save me a fair bit of time during the workday!

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Have you used a computer with an SSD before? More likely than not the speed improvements you are noticing have way more to do with the SSD than the i7 processor.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004

Maxwell is huge, but I have serious doubts that Apple will include it as an option.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
Do you think that the jump from Haswell to Broadwell is more significant than going from Ivy Bridge to Haswell?

It depends how you look at it. Ivy to Haswell included improvements for the SSD, WiFi, as well as a more refined and polished OS. Not just a CPU upgrade. But in terms of raw CPU and dGPU improvements then yes I do think it will be a bigger upgrade. I expect good improvements in battery life too thanks to better transistor tech and perhaps IGZO IPS display. It will vary from user to user, for me I do quite a bit of gaming so Maxwell will make it worth my while.

----------

Maxwell is huge, but I have serious doubts that Apple will include it as an option.

Why not, they basically have for the Haswell version. Intel will no doubt offer improvements in the iGPU but if it gets hammered by Maxwell then Apple will keep offering to those willing/able to pay a bit more. Including a dGPU does cost more for Apple so I doubt they'd include it in the base versions.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
So, ever since I got a new MBP 15'' retina and the best available i7 CPU I'm stunned by the performance (of course SSD and 16GB Ram do their part too).

And I'm a pro user doing lots of CPU intensive tasks.

Been test rendering After Effects projects lately and it's so fast, yet CPU usage seems to be only at about 20%.

I ordered this model too.
Will it be more cool than my older mbp 15 early 2011? (quad core too, sandy bridge). Temperature is always a matter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.