i7 issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nihlaeth, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Nihlaeth macrumors newbie

I ordered my macbook pro with an i7 processor thinking that this was a quadcore processor, as stated on the intel website: http://www.intel.com/products/processor/corei7/specifications.htm

This processor is a quadcore, but with hyperthreading it acts like an octalcore.

However, when I looked in system profiler, I noticed it naming my processor i7, but only detecting 2 cores. When I looked on the apple website, it appeared that apple sees the i5 and i7 as quite the same, both dual cored who could act as quadcores with multi threading. When I called the apple store where I bought my macbook pro, they confirmed this.

When I use iStat pro and click on activity monitor -> cpu I clearly see 4 cores, all 4 in use luckily.

I was wondering if this is apple hyperthreading 2 out of 4 cores, or that really all 4 cores are in use...

edit:
    I noticed that 2 out of 4 displayed cores are rarely used, both by system and user. This means that these are 'hyper threaded' cores, or that activity is not nicely balanced over all cores...

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Your link is to the desktop processors.

4. Collider macrumors regular

5. Nihlaeth thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for clearing that out, it has really been bugging me ;)