Price Advice i7 MacBook Air Asking Price Help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JZLOMIE, Dec 8, 2011.

1. JZLOMIE macrumors newbie

So here is my dilemma... I have a 2011 1.8 ghz i7 MacBook Air with 256 GB SSD and 4 GB Ram.

The computer is in perfect condition aside from the display. The display was hit by a tossed object. The screen cracked in the lower right hand corner, and has since spidered in 3 up to the middle of the screen just under the webcam.

The screen displays properly, with the only exception being the cracks. At the time and some random spots around the screen there is blue "smudges" that get worse on some days, and better on others.

I am looking to sell it, since my computer needs have changed (Work & School) but was curious to the asking price?

This computer new was $1699. Would $1200 be a fair asking price?

Thanks for your help!

2. digitalhen macrumors regular

I'd see if you can get it repaired first. It's all about perception to the future buyer - if the screen is broken, what else is broken?

You never know, an Apple Store might replace the screen for free.

3. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

This.

4. JZLOMIE thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions so far... I just spoke with Apple via phone. They stated Accidental damage is not covered under warranty, but would be under Homeowner's insurance...

5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Your best bet is probably to get it fixed and then sell it.

6. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Did they give you a price without the warranty?

7. amoda macrumors 6502a

Maybe if you supplied a picture of the damage I'd get a better idea, but I wouldn't pay anywhere near $1200 for your laptop.

The crack is significant (from the bottom left, all the way up to the webcam!) and would hinder workflow significantly. Out of warranty repair would be expensive (not sure about the air, but for the MBP it's pretty much 1K). Yeah it can be used in clamshell mode, but then I could get a more powerful desktop for less.

If I were you I'd do one of the following:
    1. Get it repaired/replaced through insurance - depends on your plan
    2. Repair it myself using ~$400-600 display from eBay
    3. Keep it, and buy an external display

Best of luck!