i7 MacBook Air vs i5 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Chocolate dreams, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Chocolate dreams, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015

Chocolate dreams macrumors newbie

Can someone please help me compare the specs of these two? I'm not sure whether the i7 processor in the MacBook Air would make up for the lower GHz, or whether I would be better off spending an extra $140 and going for the MacBook Pro. I haven't had a chance to see the retina screens in real life, but I was previously content with a non-retina screen.

It will be used as my primary computer for the next 12 months, but in the longer term I will be getting an iMac as well. I imagine it will eventually be passed down to my then 7yo. It isn't going to be used for anything too heavy, although I do need the larger 512GB hard drive.

MacBook Air (2013)
    • Processor
      • 1.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz) with 4MB shared L3 cache
      Memory
      • 8GB of 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
      Storage
      • 512GB flash storage1
      Graphics
      • Intel HD Graphics 5000
      Ports
      • Two USB 3 ports (up to 5 Gbps)
      • MagSafe 2 power port
      • Thunderbolt port (up to 10 Gbps)
      • SDXC card slot
      Audio
      • Stereo speakers, Dual microphones, headphone port, support for Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic
      Wireless
      • 802.11ac Wi-Fi wireless networking;4 IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n compatible; Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology

MacBook Pro (2014)
    • Tech Specs
      Processor
      • 2.8GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz) with 3MB shared L3 cache
      Memory
      • 8GB of 1600MHz DDR3L onboard memory
      Storage
      • 512GB flash storage1
      Graphics
      • Intel Iris Graphics
      • Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560x1600 pixels on up to two external displays, both at millions of colours
      • 720p FaceTime HD camera
      Ports
      • MagSafe 2 power port
      • Two Thunderbolt 2 ports (up to 20 Gbps)
      • Two USB 3 ports (up to 5 Gbps)
      • HDMI port
      • Headphone port
      • SDXC card slot
      • Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter (sold separately)
      • Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (sold separately)
      Audio
      • Stereo speakers
      • Dual microphones
      • Headphone port
      • Support for Apple iPhone headset with remote and microphone
      • Support for audio line out (digital/analog)
      Wireless
      • 802.11ac Wi-Fi wireless networking2
      • IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n compatible
      • Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

The retina screen alone is worth the extra money ( Iwould pay a bigger premium than that for the screen), all the rest is just gravy better CPU and GPU, newer, two thunderbolt 2 and HDMI.

3. VintageMac macrumors member

FWIW, I received a refurb MBA 13" i7 8/512 two days ago and am now returning it for a refurb MB Pro 13" i5 8/256. I should have known, but I was surprised that the footprint of the Air is larger than the Pro. That along with non-Retina screen and number of ports and placement are reasons for the return. $200. savings helps.

Vintage

4. Chocolate dreams thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I will go ahead and get a MacBook Pro, although I might spend a little more and upgrade to a 15" screen. If I am spending over $2,000 anyway, an extra couple of hundred dollars isn't going to make a huge difference in the scheme of things. Thanks for you help :)