i7 macbook pro video playback issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dim1014, Oct 20, 2010.

1. dim1014 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I have been having an issue with my MC373LL/A i7 macbook pro. I purchased it in June and have had this issue from the start. I am getting some artifacting/ghosting effects on the screen at times when watching videos. It happens 3-4 times during an hour or so of playback and resolves itself within a few seconds each time. The effect looks similar to that of poor encoding or something along those lines which is what I thought it was at first, until I tried playing videos that I knew for a fact didn't have this problem. The video pretty much freezes or colors get inverted in some areas, but the audio is not affected. Let me know if you need any additional details.

This is occurring with AVI files using VLC Player. I have not tried other file formats/players, but I have tried various .avi files that I know do not have this problem on other machines.

I read somewhere that it could be caused by the graphics card switching so I tried turning that off and it did not help.

Are there any settings within VLC/on the computer that could be causing this or do I just have a defective macbook? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

2. dim1014 thread starter macrumors newbie

bump. i have done all possible updates through apple software update as well as updated vlc. are there some settings i am unaware of that could possibly be causing this? thanks!

3. dim1014 thread starter macrumors newbie