i7 or 2TB Fusion in 21.5"?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JLS, Oct 14, 2015.

1. JLS macrumors 6502

Hi, I was wondering if you could give me some advice on the spec to choose please?

I'm just a casual mac user who mainly uses it for web browsing & the odd photoshop edits.

I want to future proof my 4K iMac so it lasts at least 3 years if possible.

I am choosing 16GB Ram & either:

i7 with 1TB fusion
    or
    i5 with 2TB fusion

Which do you think would have the biggest impact on general usage over the next few years please?

Only reason for me asking about this is the SSD element of the fusion drive being so different between the 1 & 2 TB versions.

Many thanks

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

For that usage the 2 TB Fusion drive will make the most difference. You should also consider getting the 256 GB SSD + external HDD storage for the same price, as the 256 GB SSD will provide more speed and reliability.

3. im2slick4u macrumors newbie

i5 with 2TB Fusion. For what you described the i7 would just be wasting your money. Also the 1TB Fusion is a joke now, they should have just made that the base model and throw away the HDD.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

I think you should choose the 2tb fusion, because it gives you a 128gb SSD instead of a 24gb.

Having "enough" flash-based storage space will prove more beneficial than any speed differences between the i5 and i7 -- at least "differences" that you will -notice-....

5. JLS thread starter macrumors 6502