i7 V GTX680MX & Why

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MightyWhite, Nov 29, 2012.

1. MightyWhite macrumors member

I am not a troll just have a £2k budget and want the fusion drive so my spec will be

27" = £1699
    Fusion = £200
    Then either i& of GTX380MX.

I transcode bluray movies - Play the odd game and just want a really good computer that will not stutter at tasks for a while...

I cant find a specifiv A V B Thread.... What is the best "Bang for Buck" "Punch for Pound"

Who is going for one V's the other and why - I assume loads will go for both but I am just trying to work out what the concensus is for these upgrades as they are similar price.

A little reason for your choice would be cool too

------------------------------

I did google and only found a Mythbusters presentations where the CPU drew a smiley face with paintballs and the GPU Drew the mona lisa with paintballs which makes me think GPU is better for an upgrade???

2. Justmeinit macrumors newbie

Upgrading the GPU is more important than the CPU

3. lucasfunkt macrumors 6502

But I've been told that is not so if you are using your imac for video and photo editing, apparently I'd see more benefit from an i7 processor than the Gtx680mx

4. maverick72 macrumors member

Then why are you asking the question if you have your mind set already?

If you game then the GPU will be the prio. If all you do is transcode movies and if your software takes advantage of the hyperthreading then the CPU will be your prio. Its that simple.

You can also wait one month and get both upgrades. You are not gonna die if you wait. Wait ... will you?

Bothom line is: if you are asking about this and not finding the answer on your own then you probably are likely to see the difference anyway. So at the end you will be happy with either choice.

5. lucasfunkt macrumors 6502

6. maverick72 macrumors member

Sorry. Jumped the gun a little early. Still applies to the OP. At least the choice part.

7. MightyWhite thread starter macrumors member

Yes I would die!

I will just see what my mouse clicks on when ordering tomorrow....

On another note - For those in the UK - HMV are selling the £25 iTunes cards for £20 (20% saving) so I just picked up a few ready to buy some apps and games from the mac app store - Is there anywhere specific to post these kind of offers and I am sure people will snap them up ready if they knew...