i7 vs c2d real world computing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tim100, Apr 14, 2010.

1. tim100 macrumors 65816

I currently have a 17inch c2d 2.8, I am thinking about adding a 15 inch i7. I don't need a second laptop but will get one in the next year. One for work and one at home. I was waiting for a redesign. My question is, is the i7 just a speed bump or a game changer? I want to put some difference between the 2 machines, so they don't come up for upgrade at the same time. I wold consider the switch to unibody/sealed battery a design game changer. How about the i5/i7

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It's more like a speed bump, if one has read all the other threads and articles about the update on the i5/z CPUs.

It's a good speed bump though, but unless you have to do a lot of CPU intensive stuff, it might not be worth it. Or it might.

A design change of the outer shell is highly unlikely, as the previous Aluminium design was with use for five and a half years.

Btw, when the MBPs get quad core CPUs, that will be a really significant speed bump, but not a so-called game changer. That will be the task for the quantum MBP in twenty years or so.

3. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

i would not consider the13 inch because it kept the c2d

4. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Its a speed bump, why do you need a laptop for work and home? If you need that could you not get a iMac or Mac mini and keep the laptop for work :)