i7MBP worse than C2DMBP???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alexbob1318, Jul 2, 2010.

1. alexbob1318 macrumors newbie

Hey All

I've just got a 17" core i7 Macbook Pro, like the top of the line one with the 330m 512mb graphics and 2.66ghz Core i7.

My friend has an early 2009 C2D 2.53 ghz with the 9600m gt at 512mb.

Now we both have 64bit Windows 7 Ultimate, mine is a brand new fresh install with all the latest Apple Drivers, the same ones as him. His install is really old and sometimes slow.

We've benchmarked (many times) many different games including Crysis and Just Cause 2 and for some reason his benchmarking completes usually quicker and on average about 10-15 more frames than mine, and we've both got the same settings.

My Ram in windows (i7) also says I've only got 3.86gb usable while his is 4gb.

Now I definitely think that I should be getting faster and better gaming than my friends computer!!! Especially seeming it's a newer generation graphics card and definitely a much faster processor!

Can anyone help?

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Obviously the hardware in your MacBook Pro is superior to that of the Core 2 Duo so you have to look at software being at fault. If you're able to run games with no problems, I wouldn't worry about it because there's so many things we can look at that can cause your computer having lower frame rates than the Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro.

3. Inside_line macrumors regular

Lower RAM b/c the intel graphics are turned on and sharing main system memory. Lock in your Nvidia card and re-run your tests. The best test would really be to boot the systems off the same drive, ala firewire.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I thought in Windows, like the previous generation, the discrete GPU is the only option? I could be wrong as I haven't really read or have experience with the current generation MacBook Pro's in a Windows environment.

5. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Sounds like your macbook pro is using intel's integrated gpu instead of the 330m, and for whatever reason the games/benchmarks aren't using the 330m. Could be a driver problem.

6. mark28 macrumors 68000

Also at the same resolution? :p

Maybe he OC'ed his 9600GT. The 330M in your MBP is underclocked by Apple btw. So it's probably something like that.

In games, GPU is what matters. A simple E8600 Intel Duo core easily beats a i7 920 Quad core at Crysis if the E8600 Intel Duo core has a ATI 5970 GPU :D

( Crysis is even maxed @ Full HD with a Dual core Intel E8400 and an ATI 5850 with 30 fps+ )

7. Inside_line macrumors regular

Completely forgot about that... yeah I think the discrete is the only option. I'm sure he could look that up in device manager for us.

All really good points in this thread... hope the OP gets to solving it and giving the ole cor2duo a whoopin.