i9/32/1TB/Vega 20 is a beast.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2012
London
This machine is an absolute beast. Go to your local Apple retail and buy one. They have them.

THIS is a 5 year machine.
I doubt this somehow. I don't think any machine 2016 and later will survive 5 years unless it sits unused - the components are too powerful relative to the chassis. I am not even talking about the keyboard issue which is likely to be the main culprit, but anything can go really given the power and then you'll need a top or bottom case replacement (or both).

boogieman

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2004
I agree. This machine is amazing.
Im so glad I took my i9 back and got this.
This machine is an absolute beast. Go to your local Apple retail and buy one. They have them.

THIS is a 5 year machine.
For sure
can you clarify in what regards it is a beast? gaming? or photo editing
I can only comment on FCPX. I use it heavily and see so much fast render and encode times. For example I did some FCPX output master files to compare for when I got the vega. Most videos were rendered and done in a average of either half the time or in some cases 75% faster. However I did find one and I cannnot explain but was actually slower on the Vega 20. Im still in doubt as to why.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I would certainly hope we could consider a machine that costs $4250 to be a five year machine. Better last ten years for that price. Unfortunately, given the issues the 2016-2018 models have, I don't think that will turn out to be the case, and machines that expensive are going to get absolutely reamed on resale, especially if Apple fixes the issues in the next year or two.

Are we really at that point where now only when a machine crosses the $4k mark are we comfortable holding Apple accountable for it to last a mere five years? Are we now saying that $2k or even $3k machines are as good as disposable? Even a $2k machine from Apple should last 6-8 years if you ask me.

fate0311

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 31, 2015
I would certainly hope we could consider a machine that costs $4250 to be a five year machine. Better last ten years for that price.

Are we really at that point where now only when a machine crosses the $4k mark are we comfortable holding Apple accountable for it to last a mere five years? Are we now saying that $2k or even $3k machines are as good as disposable now? Even a $2k machine from Apple should last 6-8 years if you ask me.
I am going to destroy your argument.

A i9, with 32GB of RAM, 1TB, and a Vega 20 that is on par with a 1050+ desktop graphics card.

This is literally the goat of future proofing.

I paid 3899 for it...with EDU discount. If I keep it for 4 years that's 975/year. Not shabby.

Reactions: 0-0

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008

A i9, with 32GB of RAM, 1TB, and a Vega 20 that is on par with a 1050+ desktop graphics card.

I paid 3899 for it...with EDU discount. If I keep it for 4 years that's 975/year. Not shabby.
You didn't destroy anything?

Yes, the components are impressive, which only supports my argument that it should last ten years. We are in agreement here that it should last a long time.

Problem is, assuming Apple adds the 2018 machines to the 4 year keyboard fix, in year 5 when it goes and you are looking at a $700+ repair bill on a 4 year old machine that already cost $4k, but is still too valuable to dump, you're basically going to be stuck having to spend $700+. It's not a nice place to be - the computer was too expensive to even think of ever having to spend any more money on it, but it's also too valuable to not repair it. Been there, done that. It sucks. Good luck to you sir, hopefully you don't have issues.

Ultimately though I think you just missed my point, that being that it seems we are content to hold Apple to such a low standard that we will happily open our wallets to the tune of $4k +/- with the only expected return being a pathetic 5 years. When did your standards to hold Apple accountable sink so low?

Last edited:

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
All relative £4400 is a lot of money for a portable device for anyone else.

Hope you got applecare haha!

AvengerNX08

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2015
Germany
I suppose it all depends on the circumstances. Being a teacher, I bought mine with a hefty discount. (i9, 32GB Ram, 1TB SSD and the Vega 20 for 3780€. Only downside: Waiting till early December for it to get here...

My 2016 MBP still has a very nice resale value ... and then there are tax returns. So in a way it seems I am getting it for free, albeit not at once.

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
This is what I love. Take any machine and max out the CPU and the GPU and see what it does.

When is this ever going to happen? NEVER
I see that every time I play Sea of Theives on my 2011 MacBook Pro. Windows eats a good chunk already, plus dropbox & the AV, then the game adds the non-polygon computations & finally, the graphics drives right up to 100%. The biggest effect in reality is that the CPU does not actually peg...it's a back & fourth game between the GPU & the CPU. The one thing I have noticed is that the GPU drops sometimes when the CPU is maxed out...meaning that the CPU is limited at that time.

IdentityCrisis

Suspended
Sep 9, 2018
I suppose it all depends on the circumstances. Being a teacher, I bought mine with a hefty discount. (i9, 32GB Ram, 1TB SSD and the Vega 20 for 3780€. Only downside: Waiting till early December for it to get here...

My 2016 MBP still has a very nice resale value ... and then there are tax returns. So in a way it seems I am getting it for free, albeit not at once.
Thats about what I paid if I got the 1tb. I got the 2tb so its a bit more. Adorama had a good 225 coupon, no tax, beats Apples education pricing.
[doublepost=1542929648][/doublepost]
This is what I love. Take any machine and max out the CPU and the GPU and see what it does.

When is this ever going to happen? NEVER
My built gaming system won't do that. I doubt any desktop would. I would expect laptops too though.

esaelias

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2016

i think you have not really destroyed anything but you are trying to make yourself feel better because for the price you paid you arent getting the performance like really

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
i think you have not really destroyed anything but you are trying to make yourself feel better because for the price you paid you arent getting the performance like really
I've found it cheaper in the long run when I had to spend 2k every 2-3 years to replace a windows laptop vs 2.5k every 7 years for a MacBook. Sure, the performance isn't that good, especially near the end, but I'm glad I don't have to worry about it breaking while I'm on an extended trip. I had every windows laptop die on me during one of my trips. Also, granted, the price of MacBooks went through the roof so it's a bit more of a pill to swallow. Security has also been a big thing for me too. It's a bit harder with windows, especially when you find that your software was mandated by the government to allow loopholes to bypass the hard drive encryption.

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017

you overpaid badly,
I paid less for my desktop few months ago and I have 8 core Intel CPU, 2xTitan XP and 3.5TB SSD storage

Queen6

macrumors 604
I've found it cheaper in the long run when I had to spend 2k every 2-3 years to replace a windows laptop vs 2.5k every 7 years for a MacBook. Sure, the performance isn't that good, especially near the end, but I'm glad I don't have to worry about it breaking while I'm on an extended trip. I had every windows laptop die on me during one of my trips. Also, granted, the price of MacBooks went through the roof so it's a bit more of a pill to swallow. Security has also been a big thing for me too. It's a bit harder with windows, especially when you find that your software was mandated by the government to allow loopholes to bypass the hard drive encryption.
Apple is eroding the perceived value these days due to the increasing cost per unit and reliability issues which makes the MBP a far harder choice. Today I'd be looking at a minimum of $4K that would equally need replacing in the range of 24-36 months. I travel globally for work purpose and have pretty equal experience of Mac's & PC's failing over the years. Problem with Mac's is they generally start with a performance deficit which may or may not be a concern.

As for security I trust Apple no more than Microsoft, with latter being somewhat more transparent. All operating systems have vulnerabilities simple as that with Apple & Microsoft having very different approaches how to deal with such matters.

Q-6

Last edited:

Howard2k

macrumors 68030
Mar 10, 2016
Nice, I hope you get a lot of use from it.

If you don't mind me asking, what ARE you going to use all that horsepower for?

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
M
Apple is eroding the perceived value these days due to the increasing cost per unit and reliability issues which makes the MBP a harder choice. Today I'd be looking at a minimum of $4K that would equally need replacing in the range of 24-36 months. I travel globally for work purpose and have pretty equal experience of Mac's & PC's failing over the years. Problem with Mac's is they generally start with a performance deficit which may or may not be a concern.

As for security I trust Apple no more than Microsoft, with latter being somewhat more transparent. All operating systems have vulnerabilities simple as that with Apple & Microsoft having very different approaches how to deal with such matters.

Q-6
Microsoft in the past didn't actually provide security. We were more reliant on other software such as truecrypt, but that turned out to be a huge fail when it was revealed that they had created back doors in their software along with anything that built upon their encryption. Apple at least is fighting the government on that. I shouldn't need to worry about government, but it is the government agencies that seem to lose control of their own software.

SDColorado

Contributor
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Apple is eroding the perceived value these days due to the increasing cost per unit and reliability issues which makes the MBP a harder choice. Today I'd be looking at a minimum of $4K that would equally need replacing in the range of 24-36 months. I travel globally for work purpose and have pretty equal experience of Mac's & PC's failing over the years. Problem with Mac's is they generally start with a performance deficit which may or may not be a concern.

Q-6
Right off the bat one of the major security concerns with Apple is that whenever you send it for service, you are surrendering custody of your SSD and Data. Obviously, since the drives are soldered in, they don't have the ability to offer an option such as Lenovo's Keep Your Drive service.

If you don't have anything sensitive on your drive, it isn't a big deal. But if you do and the machine fails to power on giving you the ability to wipe the drive prior to service, your sending that data in and hoping it the data remains secure when you do. Do you trust Apple and everyone who works there? You will have to in that case.

Reactions: cfdlab and c0ppo

Queen6

macrumors 604
M

Microsoft in the past didn't actually provide security. We were more reliant on other software such as truecrypt, but that turned out to be a huge fail when it was revealed that they had created back doors in their software along with anything that built upon their encryption. Apple at least is fighting the government on that. I shouldn't need to worry about government, but it is the government agencies that seem to lose control of their own software.
As I stated I trust neither. Apple is mostly using security as a sales & marketing tool these days for the masses. Microsoft is far more transparent, equally happy to avoid too much serious discussion on the subject. I take my own precautions for security. I don't see W10 or macOS as being inherently unsafe, however neither are impregnable to attack.

Very much agree none of us should have to worry about our government's actions, unfortunately this is frequently not the case, especially the current trend of invasion of privacy.

Q-6

Reactions: idark77