Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNoobGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
hey guys, i'm an aussie, but iAds aren't available in australia.

i was just wondering how it'd work if i released an app with iAds enabled. would i even be able to release an app with iAds seeing as how they're not available in australia? or would the iAds only be displayed in places that already have them available like the USA and UK?

thanks, i couldn't find an answer anywhere.

Kieren Harrold

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2012
Cleethorpes, UK
You will only get revenue from supported counties, so if your app is popular in the east, then you will probably want to look into iad + another ad network or charge 0.99 for it.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I have released 3 apps. Here's the rough data:
iOS: Egg Drop! - 110 Sales ($0.99) - $77 Profit
iOS: Quick Clips - 5K Downloads - 10 Ad Removals - 100K Ads Displayed - $7 from ad removals, $10 from ads displayed/clicked.
Mac: Battery Status - 1.5K Sales ($1.99) - $4K Profit

I will never be making a free, ad supported app again. Actually, that's not quite true. I am planning on making a free iOS app that will be used as a controller option for a Mac game. In a sense, the free app will be advertising my Mac app.

Last edited:

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I have released 3 apps. Here's the rough data:
iOS: Egg Drop! - 110 Sales ($0.99) - $77 Profit
iOS: Quick Clips - 5K Downloads - 10 Ad Removals - 100K Ads Displayed - $7 from ad removals, $10 from ads displayed/clicked.
Mac: Battery Status - 1.5K Sales ($1.99) - $4K Profit

I will never be making a free, ad supported app again. Actually, that's not quite true. I am planning on making a free iOS app that will be used as a controller option for a Mac game. In a sense, the free app will be advertising my Mac app.

This doesn't really answer MacNoobGuy's questions, does it?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
This doesn't really answer MacNoobGuy's questions, does it?

No, the intent was to disclose to him how grossly unprofitable I've found ad supported apps are. His root concern seemed to be making money from ads, I'm letting him know: don't bother with ads if you want money.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
No, the intent was to disclose to him how grossly unprofitable I've found ad supported apps are. His root concern seemed to be making money from ads, I'm letting him know: don't bother with ads if you want money.
Alright, then I will add that I make thousands of dollars a year with my ad-supported app.

Kieren Harrold

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2012
Cleethorpes, UK
I think it all depends on the app.

If you have a very niche app for a very specific type of person, then they are probably willing to spend the money needed for the app.

But if your targeting a wide audience like a game, then you can rely more on ads to support your app.

MacNoobGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012

ok, thanks. is there anyone you know of it making any money with ads?

----------

You will only get revenue from supported counties, so if your app is popular in the east, then you will probably want to look into iad + another ad network or charge 0.99 for it.

oh, ok. so i'll still get revenue as an australian, but only from countries that support iAd? is this correct?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.