iAnnotate woes

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by peapody, Jun 12, 2010.

1. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Just bought iAnnotate last week from the app store for $10...and have been playing with it for a few days. When I bought this app I thought it would save my annotations right on the pdf, but I see now there are conditions. The apparent problem is that if I opened the pdf from another app (docstogo) annotations cannot be saved to that pdf for me to review back in the docstogo. I am fairly disappointed with this because I thought my annotations would be saved as they advertised it would be. Now in order for my annotations to show up I need to have a pdf library in two places - docstogo and iannotate. And iAnnotate's method of transfer is not as simple as docstogo - at least to my knowledge. I can wirelessly sync desktop folders that I modify daily with docstogo. iAnnotate I have to manually sync.

All in all, disappointed in this app. If there is anyone out there that can help me I would appreciate it! I contacted support, and was given suggestions of what to do, but they haven't worked and now the forum is down. It seems as if people are having problems with getting their annotations saved as well.

If readdledocs saves annotations so that they can be viewed across apps. I am going to purchase that. In the mean time...going to look into a refund.

2. caubeck macrumors 6502

I don't need to annotate too many pdfs, but I have the app you refer to and some others. Maybe this experiment will show saving annotations on the iPad is at least possible.

I wrote "blah" in Pages and sent it to myself as a pdf via email.

Using GoodReader I downloaded it, and opened the document in PaperPad.

I scribbled a blue circle around the word "blah," a few other doodles, and from there mailed it to myself.

The file was redownloaded from my emaii, with the scribbles intact.

So at least that app sent the annotated document as I wanted it. I suppose the secret of Paper Pad is that it recreates the pdf.

I hope that helps.