iAntivirus kills my battery.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Boesky, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Boesky macrumors 6502

I caught it in the Activity Monitor. Was running my CPU usage high. Is there a way to stop it? And sitll be protected?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You're using OS X. For most people that's all the virus protection they need.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I just use it in manual mode. I have ClamXAV set with a sentry to watch my Downloads folder for active monitoring. iAntivirus lacks control, though I think the paid versions offers more options like this.

4. t22design macrumors regular

I installed this a few days ago, and I've had to disable it.

I wondered why my MacBooks fans were running full speed (I didn't have a flash video playing), and it turns out iAntivirus was maxing the processor usage.

Looks like this program needs some work.

5. Boesky thread starter macrumors 6502

6. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Trash it. :D

No. I don't care what AV software you've got installed or what OS you're using. The #1 threat to your machine is always you. Fortunately the mac (for whatever reason) seems to be fairly secure to viruses but malware is another story.

Personally, I'd rather put up with the risks than the AV software doing god knows what to my machine to prevent the very crap you got if for in the first place. :D

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

UNIX.

Because people are idiots and download pirated software. Otherwise, no malware can do anything.

8. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

Well, that might be your problem. Whether you are using PC or Mac many of the antivirus programs have live or active monitoring which can really slow down your computer if you leave it on. I like to turn off most of the automated live activities when using any antivirus programs.

The only time I use antivirus is to run manual scans of my whole hard drive or each individual files I download from the internet. Letting antivirus programs run in the background is asking for problems if you ask me. IMO live monitoring is made for lazy people who aren't willing to take the time to manually scan suspicious files or computer newbies who don't know how virus get on their computers in the first place so live monitoring checks every activity they do. Technically you only need antivirus programs to load up with you do a scan. A lot of them are being too proactive in their virus guarding duty which makes them bloated and eats up system resources because they are constantly on.

I've been using PCs for decades and only had a few downloaded viruses but never had any infections because I've always checked my files before installing them. We all know how many viruses there are for PCs so I consider that a good ratio. Most of the time on Macs you get PC viruses that you can then pass onto your friends' PCs so it is still worth checking Macs for viruses.

9. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

That only works if your AV software has the known virus in its database. If it's a new one you're probably screwed.

In 20 years, I've never gotten one on the PC side. It's always been a "misfire" (false reading). That being said, my kids got them all the time because they installed the damn things themselves. (via those silly popups).

I also don't know how many times I've sent emails to PC users from my mac and their crappy AV software has refused the attachments.

I still maintain that most (if not all) AV software is a virus itself. :D

10. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

That's about it in a nutshell.

If anything happens on a mac it's self-inflicted.

11. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

Yes I know that, but the original topic was about high CPU usage which is why I mentioned it. If you only do manual scans and not have the antivirus program run in the background then that should cut back on the system resources it uses. Having it actively monitor still only uses its known virus database.

12. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

What problem are you talking about? My stuff works perfectly fine. My software doesn't cause any problems. Check what you're quoting before posting.

13. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

true point, if you don't have money for app don't buy it, if you really really need it think what would you do if you really really needed a house or a car or a *real item*

14. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

Actually no, antivirus software has been able to use heuristic detection / behaviour detection for ages. A lot of Windows antiviruses use HIPS protection too (A.K.A. Popup for every single thing every single file is trying to do).

Still, there's no need for a Mac antivirus. Oh, btw, ClamXAV is completely useless for both Mac and (almost completely) Windows malware.

15. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I don't even run anti-virus on my windows computers, you just have to THINK before you download something and go on websites that you trust, that's all there is to it. To run it on a Mac is just pointless.

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I can see some people actually trying to figure out a way to steal a house, though, you know? :p

17. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

Sorry I wasn't directing my reply to you, but rather using your statement as a springboard for my comments. I should have made it clearer.

What I meant was I think that is Boesky's problem if iAntivirus lacks control especially if a person can't turn off certain features.