iAntiVirus randomly scanning

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jethryn Freyman, May 15, 2009.

1. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

OS X 10.5.6, iAntiVirus installed. I've got the scheduled scan turned off.

It seems to randomly start up scanning every so often, sucking up about 70% of the power from one CPU. This happens totally randomly. No files were just modified or anything that could cause a scan.

Anybody else had this happen?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I generally notice that when something is changing in my Downloads folder. I setup ClamXAV to have its sentry watch that folder as well (Why 2 antivirus software you ask? Just playing with the software, not paranoid). iAntivirus may have kicked in at other times as well, but I don't currently have it running. I didn't care for the overly simplistic interface. Maybe the paid version has more stuff.

3. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

Here is the forum for more help:

http://www.pctools.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66

Though I think that the company doesn't work in weekends.

No, the paid version just adds 24/7 support, phone support and business and commercial use:
    http://www.pctools.com/iantivirus/purchase/

4. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Do yourself (and your Mac) a favour and drag that antivirus app to the bin. :)

5. BPose421 macrumors newbie

after reading this response i have a question too. People have been saying, Mac's don't get viruses, isn't it possible for someone to create one, based off OS X? from what iv'e been reading from all the conficker crap, is Mac's are safe because no is writing code for UNIX, and because Pc's are more widespread. So in theory, all it would take is some programmer to make one? right?

6. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

No, that's what people have been calling "security by obscurity".

There are no viruses for OS X because it's UNIX, and UNIX is extremely difficult to write a virus for. The UNIX permissions system requires administrator access to modify system files, which stops viruses (in very simple terms.)

To give an application (or virus or trojan) administrator access to the system, it needs to either be typed by the user (how trojans gain access), or the malware needs to take advantage of a bug in the system code which allows admin access without a password being typed.

7. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

I have Sophos Antivirus "Mac Edition" which is provided corperatly.. I have to have it running as that is my companys security policy...

So... go with that...

J

8. LxMx macrumors newbie

You can get similar security on Windows by just not running as an admin. The Windows permission system also requires administrator access to modify system files, people just don't seem to realise this.

Considering most exploits these days are feats of social engineering, antivirus is nothing more than snake oil. Keep the system up to date, don't run as an administrator and don't open files you weren't expecting. That should pretty much preclude you from infection.

So yes, bin that AV app. I've never run an AV program on my Windows PCs or my Mac, and I haven't got an infection yet. Just be smart and you should be fine.

9. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

It costs money though. Paying for AV software for a Mac is a ripoff, which is why I ended up with iAV.

Yes, but there are more exploits in Windows' code which allow applications to escalate their privileges. UAC in Vista has definitely done a good job of strengthening things, though.

I'm very safe, but I take care of a couple of other Macs where the users aren't quite so security savvy.

10. tenderidol macrumors regular

tenderidol

I seem to be having the same issue with iAV. Even though the scheduled scans are set to "never" it does so once a while taking CPU percentage and spiking the temps. If I catch it doing this and restart the application, all is well. Any solutions?

11. macnfab macrumors regular

macnfab

i can't help but wonder about all this too.. I think a poll is in order.