iAntivirus website no longer in company's hands

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LPPU, Sep 12, 2010.

1. LPPU macrumors newbie

I know not many people use antivirus software on the Mac, but nevertheless those that do deserve a warning. I am an iAntivirus user and today went to update iAntivirus. When I did so I got a message saying "Invalid update file"

I went to iAntivirus' website to try and post on their message board, but by going to their website you will see that the domain expired yesterday on September 11th.

What's scary about this besides that a professional company would allow their website to expire is there is nothing from keeping a person from buying the domain and then putting malware on there and infecting Macs that choose to update iAntivirus. This is possible because you have to give your administrator password to install iAntivirus in the first place.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. v5point0 macrumors member

v5point0

The Website is back up but

Lol, I was curious about the same thing too and with a google search stumbled upon this thread. The site is back up though @ http://www.iantivirus.com/

But I been skeptical about iAntivirus or any other antivirus programs on the Mac. They do take up resource and I been wondering if it is necessary.

My main browser is Firefox and I do use Transmissions and Rapidshare/Megaupload a lot but no other P2P file sharing softwares especially under the GNUTELLA network which are filled with virus and trojans. I do keep my softwares up to date but am running on OS X 10.5.

I am only worried about viruses that can come through torrents and sites like rapidshare.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Gladly there are none for Mac OS X currently in public circulation. See the Mac Virus/Malware Info GGJstudios provided.

5. v5point0 macrumors member

v5point0

Yeah he made fine post, guess we don't really need it...Just a little paranoid if I get a lil careless with my admin authentication.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Do you install anything you come upon and enter your authorisation without though? If not, nothing to be paranoid about.