iAntiVirus won't even start since upgrading to Lion - any ideas?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by floridabrits, Sep 9, 2011.

1. floridabrits macrumors newbie

Hi Folks

Since I upgraded to Lion (and I also subsequently restored my system from scratch from my Time Machine backup as I bought a new Mac mini) I'm unable to start my iAntiVirus program.

It is in my login items and I get the icon appearing at the top right of my screen for a few seconds and then it disappears.

If I go into the Applications folder and click on iAntiVirus it will start for a few seconds (the window pops up briefly) but then closes itself down.

I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, but that has no effect.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to resolve this please?

Many thanks.

Geoff

2. macdim macrumors 6502

You're probably going to have to wait until it is updated to support Lion.

Also, you could just forget about it since you don't really need it.

3. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

any ideas?

.. yep, why bother using it anyway, how many non-existent viruses has it ever found in all the time you've used it?

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

5. floridabrits thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your inputs...

Yep, I know it's not really needed, but it's a 'feelgood' factor more than anything else! ;-)

I don't think it's a Lion issue since my Macbook Air runs Lion too and it works perfectly there...

Thanks again.. if anyone else has any ideas, please feel free to shout!

6. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

If I wanted to get malware onto a Mac, hacking into one of the suppliers of Mac anti-virus "scareware" would be an excellent way, since it gives me a built in mechanism to download any software I want under the guise of "click here to remove detected virus" or similar.

Its as much use as throwing torn up paper out of your window on the grounds that it keeps the lions away from your front yard. "Must be working, look no lions". But one day, in the unlikely event a lion wanders by :eek: , its not going to work.

It will be interesting to see if anyone comes up with a fix for you here, since the sort of people capable of fixing it, would know its worthless so wont have it and wont need to fix it :confused:

7. floridabrits thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

OK, np... this is obviously a touchy/passionate subject... ;-)

Thanks for your input though - much appreciated... as a newbie to Mac it's always good to hear from people with more experience...

Thanks again...

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

I swear that sometimes these virus discussions get so heated that it's a good thing people are not in the same room or it would turn into a screaming shouting fist-throwing brawl.

9. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

If your interested in tips for increasing the security of your Mac, check out the "Mac Security Suggestions" link in my sig.

10. floridabrits thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks munkery - nice post...

Very useful and informative post... thanks for sharing...