iBank 3.0a -- any where to try it out?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Argelius, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Argelius macrumors 6502

Argelius

I see that iBank (a personal finance program similar to Quicken) won a design award at the 2007 WWDC. Currently, only the 2.0 version is available for trial; it was the 3.0alpha version that won the award.

Seems odd that an alpha program would win such an award!

I'm desperate to find an alternative to Quicken. For more than a year I've tried Quicken 2007 for Mac, but it just seems like an incomplete program. I'm now using Quicken 2007 for Windows (gasp!) via Parallels. It's amazing how much easier the Windows version's setup was for my various financial accounts. (Right now, this is the only thing I use Parallels for...)

Would love to try out iBank 3.0a -- anyone know if there's a torrent or something available for a trial version? (iBank's website makes no mention of it).

The last time I tried the 2.0 version of iBank I found it severely lacking in its ability to automatically download bank and investing transactions the way Quicken does so seamlessly. Hoping the 3.0 version is addressing this...

I switched to Mac about 2 years ago and and am one happy camper (with this one exception)... Hoping for a Quicken alternative.

2. macrobat macrumors regular

how do you do you have quicken do that I have been trying to figure that out? I have been using ibank for a while now I love its simplicity but recently switched to quicken since I bought a palm pilot with quicken so I had to take a plunge into quicken which is a pain to learn.

3. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

4. Argelius thread starter macrumors 6502

Argelius

Not sure what you are referring to? You mean download transactions? That's pretty much central to what it does -- just have to go to 'online services' (or whatever it is called in the menubar) and set it up with your various financial institutions.

5. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

I use MoneyDance. It works perfectly for my needs.

6. Argelius thread starter macrumors 6502

Argelius

I think I tried MD a while ago, but seem to remember its ability to easily download transactions was much more cumbersome than Quicken..

7. nichos macrumors 6502

nichos

8. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I think iBank 3.0 is going to be a Leopard app. The award went to a very early version a long way from beta even.

9. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

Yeah I tried to find it online but its not avalible. I think we need to wait for leopard.

10. randyharris macrumors regular

I could have been the author of your post! I had the exact same experience and thoughts and interests regarding this. Switched back to Mac when the Intel iMac's came out, the only windows app I still run is Quicken 2007 for Win because the Mac version is horrid. Tried out iBank 2 but it couldn't do the downloading that I require.

lets keep our fingers crossed.

11. Argelius thread starter macrumors 6502

Argelius

Yes. Guess we'll just have to wait until Leopard comes in October. I'm hoping the iPhone I'm planning on getting tomorrow will tide me over...

12. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

Just FYI

iBank3 is out in beta today and it is pretty nice, I already used the iPhone app via .Mac and it WORKS!!! pretty good.

I just thought I'd let you know, I know many people have been waiting for Intuit to release a decent version of Quicken for Mac and have not yet delivered.

iBank 3

13. Argelius thread starter macrumors 6502

Argelius

Cool!
    Now for me the real test will be if it can manage to easily download transactions from my bank, credit card, and Schwab...

14. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

By the way, anybody doing Direct Download, post impressions here please. My bank does not support OFX, and will change, but would like to know how iBank is doing in that regard.

15. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

I've been using iBank 2 for a good year now. It's great! I go on it daily to post new transactions. It gets the job done... i was hoping they would make an iPod Touch app, so it looks like my dream is coming true. If this is true, that's the day I'm buying my iPod touch.