iBEC and iBSS files

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by MattWylde, Oct 16, 2009.

1. MattWylde macrumors regular

I've jailbroken my 3GS only once. I was running 3.0.1 at the time, used Redsn0w and everything has been working great. I've seen too many problems with 3.1 or 3.1.2 to update.

I do have my 3.0 ECID on file with Cydia. My question is, are the iBEC and iBSS files that I read about still important for future jailbreaks? Or is Saurik's bypass-server eliminating the need for the info in those files? If they are still important, is there a way to capture the files without restoring and re-jailbreaking?

I'm just trying to prepare myself for future firmware updates from Apple. I hate the idea of losing my jailbreak.

2. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Once you know your ECID, you can use it to generate the files you need for any firmware versions that Apple is still signing - like 3.1.2 at the moment, for example.

The easiest way to do that is to get umbrella from here: http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/

It does the same as Saurik's server but it lets you save the files locally for when you want to revert to a version that Apple's no longer signing.

Read the blog, download the files, read the readme file - all becomes clear :)