iBlacklist question, blocking partial numbers

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by pauliphone, Oct 5, 2010.

1. pauliphone macrumors regular

Does anyone know if iBlacklist can block calls using partial numbers?
    I have a company that keeps calling me but they use different numbers that all start the same.
    Eg can I want to block in the format of 01234 567 ***, so regardless of the last 3 digits the call is blocked.
    Is this possible with iBlacklist or another app?

2. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

I'm successfully blocking a number that was identified only as 1004.

3. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

To answer the OP's question, yes! You can wildcard block numbers with iBlacklist. When you add a contact to the blacklist, just make its phone number look like this:
    212555*
    That will block ALL numbers that match anything in the range 212-555-xxxx.

Or add this contact to block an entire god damn area code:
    212*
    That would block anything from 212-xxx-xxxx

This setup blocks telemarketers that think they're smart by using different numers every time. It's so satisfying to glance at my phone to see that I wasn't disturbed by a call.

You can set custom options like busy signal where the garbage telemarketer doesn't even get the satisfaction of leaving a voicemail... or answer and hang up, etc.

I love iBlacklist... best $12 spent on any iphone application.

4. pauliphone thread starter macrumors regular

Excellent, thanks thats exactly what I wanted.... This company keep calling me and its not even anyone at the end when I answer I get connected to an automated recording.
    The number keeps changing that it calls from, but only the last 3 digits, so this looks like it will be the perfect solution.

5. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Does anyone know if wildcards work from the front of the number? Say I want to block XXX-000-0000, where the 000-0000 call is coming from different area codes. Would *0000000 work?

Update: well I got another call from the number I want to block and the above didn't work, so back to using the full number I guess and adding a new one if they switch area codes again.

6. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

This is a great app. Just downloaded it and trying it out. Definitely worth the $12 if it works the way it should. Hopefully it will even stop the political calls too :D

7. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

That's bizarre that you'd get calls where the area code changes but the last 7 digits stay the same. You should contact iBlacklist and see. They always response quickly to my questions.

The only thing missing from this program is the ability to punish callers. In addition to immediate hangup, voicemail, busy signal, or never answer, I want the ability to punish the caller by playing a high pitched screeching noise from a file in my iPod library. I'd pay another $12 for that option.

8. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I'd like the option for it to say the phone number is no longer in service....

9. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

I suppose with the option to play a file from the iPod library, you can get it to say/play anything you want. "Call me again, (insert telemarketer name here) and I'll cut your throat" ........just as an example.

10. Sunday Shadows macrumors regular

i get calls that just come up as 'unknown' can you block those?

11. pauliphone thread starter macrumors regular

yep

12. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

...and restricted/private numbers.

13. Sunday Shadows macrumors regular

14. thom4s macrumors newbie

punish them, too

The only thing missing from this program is the ability to punish callers. In addition to immediate hangup, voicemail, busy signal, or never answer, I want the ability to punish the caller by playing a high pitched screeching noise from a file in my iPod library. I'd pay another $12 for that option.

I'd like the option for it to say the phone number is no longer in service....

you guys, check this out.
    download YouMail from the App Store and install it.
    setup a free account.
    it's sort of like the iblacklist of voicemail.

you can add specific callers, or add them into groups,
    and customize the voicemail that group or individual number will get.

if you login to your account to your computer (it's free), you can easily browse categories like polite, annoying, funny.
    there is "modem" sound, "fake error message" (the number you dialed has been disconnected, etc.

of course, if you're going to do that, you are allowing the caller to leave a VM. but you can configure say NCO Financial to go to voicemail with iblacklist, then you can have a message just for that 212-555-**** number
    to get "your number has been reported to federal and local law enforcement as harassing blah blah" or whatever you like.

check it out, it's pretty cool. and free.

15. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Sounds like a pretty cool app. I'll have to try it when I get home.

iBlacklist doesn't seem to be working correctly anyways. It's not blocking text messages and the busy signal doesn't work either, it's doing I think the answer/hangup as a voicemail can still be left. This why I like trial software :).

16. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

not entirely free:
    https://store.youmail.com/store/home.do

..and suspicious for a brand new user, this being your first post.

anyway, i'd rather them not be able to leave a voicemail at all.

iblacklist gave me a detailed explanation as to how playing a specific voicemail to the user isn't feasible..

Due to how iphone hardware was designed, this is not possible, otherwise iBlacklist would already have that option and we would also had developed a call recording software.
    The big problem is the audio data for calls never reach the main processor, where all userland softwares run.
    Instead, it´s controlled by a second processor, which is called baseband processor.
    Thus, a userland software can´t intercept the audio data for calls, resulting in no possibility to play audio in the modem channel, or record incoming audio from a call.
    For this feature you requested, is necessary to modify the baseband firmware, which is a very risky operation that can brick the device and transform it into a fat ipod touch.

17. lanceuppercut47 macrumors regular

Interesting, I did not know this as I have been getting telemarketers (with different numbers) and have been blocking all restricted/blocked numbers as well as numbers not in my address book, this leaves me quite limited in the calls I get but it guarantees I don't get any unwanted calls.

However am going to have to give this wildcard block a try if it lets me switch off the "address book only" option.

18. madhureddy macrumors newbie

https://www.callunblock.com unblocks blocked callerid and private numbers, Provides Advanced phone number lookup, Blacklists callers, Record phone calls on the clod, Voicemail Transactions, Suports carrier voicemail (for ATT and T-Mobile) and email voicemail in mp3 format. Packages starting at $2.99 per month

----------

https://www.callunblock.com unblocks blocked callerid and private numbers, Provides Advanced phone number lookup, Blacklists callers, Record phone calls on the clod, Voicemail Transactions, Suports carrier voicemail (for ATT and T-Mobile) and email voicemail in mp3 format. Packages starting at $2.99 per month