Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
In an opinion piece in The Register, columnist Cormac O'Reilly speculates that once IBM sells its PC division it will stay in the personal computer business by buying or joining Apple.Excerpts:
Once publicly free of the PC division IBM will either buy, or form a close joint venture with Apple to sell its PCs, which coincidentally are now built around IBM's PowerPC chip.

Just think how many positives for IBM such a marriage would provide. IBM would give the same credibility to the Macintosh computer, and its Microsoft-beating operating systems as it provided for the PC in the first place, thereby opening the flood gates of corporate demand.

Hitching up with Apple would provide IBM with a real inroad into the fast growing 'lifestyle' market, something the men and women in blue suits kind of missed.

PPC970FX

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2004
Wow

That would be great, freaking fantastic. It would mean that Apple will be once again one of the real big in the COMPUTER world.

I like that IBM and apple is getting closer.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I could see this happening...Maybe IBM to sell machines that run Apple's OS X? Maybe...OS X on x86?...only time will tell :)

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2001
boston
I would hope it would be a collab and that IBM wouldn't simply own Apple. But it would be huge for them to work together. Anyone remember when Apple called IBM "Big Brother"? My, how times do change. :cool:

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
LimeiBook86 said:
I could see this happening...Maybe IBM to sell machines that run Apple's OS X? Maybe...OS X on x86?...only time will tell :)
The first thing you mentioned seems FAR more likely to me than the second one.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Hmm... I think this would be a great idea, especially for Apple. It would give them the wider audience that I think they need. The article claims that the guy was just "speculating" though... Can someone shed some light on this for me? How much of this is speculation? Is it just some rumor floating around, or is it a bit more set in stone?

edit: By great idea I mean the two companies merging... Not IBM buying Apple... Sorry, but I just don't trust the buggers with such a meticulous company as Apple... I think IBM would make some mistakes and nosedive them into the ground if they actually purchased Apple.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Ja Di ksw said:
How many people actually think IBM will buy and control Apple?
IBM won't buy Apple - IBM and Apple will form a stronger partnership, though. That's my gut feeling on this matter.

eSnow

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2004
Ouch.

The corporate cultures of IBM and Apple are so wildly different that a merger would create havoc and lead to the ultimate demise of the Mac brand. A joint-venture, maybe, but I fail to see what IBM would gain from this - the PC is so deeply entrenched in the corporate market, even IBM will not be able to dislocate it.

Please, don't do it...

mdetry

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2004
Barcelona
IBM AND APPLE

Hopefully a Joint venture would be better than a Adquisition.
As an independant company we know Apple would continue to develop Mac in the way it´s doing....if it´s wholy owned by IBM we might be at the mercy of IBM CEO and they usually change priorities in big ways.

Although for sure IBM would give a major credibility in Big Corporations much needed by apple.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
Ja Di ksw said:
How many people actually think IBM will buy and control Apple?

How many people think Steve will let this happen? For a guy that's worth $2billion and best of friends with Larry Ellison (sp?) he has a pretty good chance stopping this (If he wants to).

Now, IBM partnering more with Apple? Yep, I can see that happening. They could start deploying mac hardware to those with IBM service contracts. Would be great for Apple and super for IBM's chip factories. Also, less support work that IBM will have to do..

/asif

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
I don't know if the very different cultures of the two companies could ever really mix well. Everyone looks at these mergers as additive processes in which you can just tack on the extra company, but that's not exactly what you're going for here. It's like any relationship--It has to be a good match. And I don't know if the stodgy, uptight businessman's rendezvous with the charismatic, seductive vixen has much hope for success.

ScottDodson

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2003
Chicago
IBM + Apple + a little further down the line HP? This could very well get nasty. Although it would be great for Apple and IBM to form a stronger relationship...It really scares me for the future identity of apple. The day OS X (which I pray to god it doesn't happen, and I KNOW it won't) comes loaded on an X86, is the day I never use a computer again...Please don't quote me on that one ;)

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
No one is going to be buying Apple at the current peak sharemarket valuation - and why would IBM want to take on the uphill struggle of trying to persuade corporate drones to switch to OS X and some mutant IBM G5 or PowerMac when they have just got clear of the far easier task of selling them PC's??

Perhaps a case can be made for them flogging off OSX server on their big iron somehow, and trying to throw in some Macs as an all in one no virus/no spyware secure corporate package solution, but if that's the deal, it will hardly require a major joint effort or buyout.

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
Probably not buy apple, but partnership would be more realistic and likely. I hope this happens ... apple and ibm vs the 600lbs gorilla would be a ultimate fighting championship main event.

I see a whole lot of good things with the partnership ... maybe an announcement at the upcoming MWSF.

Jaz

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2004
Sydney, Australia
AAPL did $8.28b in revenue last FY. IBM did $68.83b. IBM does not need PC sales to stay in business. It needs growth markets to please investors and management.

IBM is looking for growth opportunities, not mature markets. The PC market is mature and pretty much everyone can tell that growth is slowing as we move from new sales to churn sales. When you are into an upgrade cycle that you can't predict, that's bad for business hence IBM moving out of the PC business.

If IBM want in on AAPL it's aiming for the living room, and digital lifestyle devices. If you have an iMac, broadband (wireless), iPod, Airport Express and Digital camera then what's missing? Video integration and internet services. What is IBM working with Sony and Toshiba ... Cell, a processor geared around digital media set to appear in PS3, DCC workstations and HD TV sets. What is one of IBM's strengths ... Websphere, middleware for distributed services.

It's a good rumour but it has to be about alot more than just the PC to be viable, because that alone ain't enough to convince anyone. Whether Steve Jobs would want to let IBM ride the Apple hardware systems in order to sell IBM services which IBM could easily yank or move to another system (PS3 anyone?) is very debatable. Even if the licencing revenue was great you are now dependent on your partners to sell your machines, something Apple has avoided like the plague. If services are to be sold, Apple wants to sell them to you; .mac, iTMS, Sherlock etc. We've all seen the screenshots of Tiger integration of the Applestore for ink cartridges etc so that is the direction Apple are going; sell the machine required to access the stores and services.

It'd be great to get the corporate muscle of IBM on board so here's hoping that they do collaborate more closely. I speak as an Apple fan and also a stockholder.

JesseJames

macrumors 6502a
Kind of ambivalent on it. On one hand it's a sweet corporate deal for both parties. On the other hand if they do merge, what will happen to the soul of Apple? As long as Steve is in charge I'm not too worried on Apples end.
I remember when Apple considered 'Big Blue' the absolute enemy. Would the suits and eggheads at IBM taint the eclectic world of Apple?
Well, it could be mutually beneficial for both companies. Considering that they both aren't too sure on how to appeal to the others target market. They can help eachother out in that respect.

Also, it's about time that everyone just accepted the fact that Apple and Microsoft are partners. Bill Gates owns stock in Apple and Steve and Bill are still friends. So get over it. The platform wars are over.
Now it's a matter of performance, performance, performance.
Of course we all have our preference. That's why we're here on these boards.
I love my Mac. I tolerate Windows.

oingoboingo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Sydney, Australia
JesseJames said:
Also, it's about time that everyone just accepted the fact that Apple and Microsoft are partners. Bill Gates owns stock in Apple and Steve and Bill are still friends. So get over it. The platform wars are over.

Microsoft sold their stock in Apple a long time ago (and at a tidy profit). At this stage, Apple and Microsoft are no more partners than Apple and Adobe, Apple and Macromedia, or Apple and Quark.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Do u think this will help apple stock?
I think i might some with my holiday money i get this year or just ask for stock in apple?

Jsmit

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2004
Boston
Why would IBM want OS X on a x86 machines? They make PowerPC chips! Isn't there more money selling chips than computers? Or at least x86 computers with Intel chips? My $.02

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.