IBM os/2

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by wellander1, Aug 8, 2019.

1. wellander1 macrumors regular

2. chscag macrumors 68040

chscag

It should be possible if you have an Intel Mac and not a PPC Mac. Partition the hard drive and give OS/2 its own partition. You may run into a problem if you only have OS/2 on 3.5" floppy disks. I believe a later version of OS/2 was made available on a CD but am not sure.

3. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

--- Post Merged, Aug 9, 2019 ---
    Maybe he can make a disk image from those floppy disks and use USB drive to load the image to install.

4. Mikael H macrumors 6502a

Most likely not, unless you intend to run it in a virtual machine. OS/2 was discontinued in 2006 and will most likely lack most or all necessary drivers and capabilities to boot natively on Mac hardware.

There are descendants of OS/2 - eComStation and ArcaOS - that possibly might work, if you think the price is right, though I wouldn't bet on them supporting Apple hardware natively either.

5. jaduff46 macrumors 6502

jaduff46

Why would you want to? The benefit to OS/2 from my development work on it a long time ago was the virtual address space (i.e. 64bit vs 32). And a fellow developer had built a really nice trading system using it for that reason. Perhaps I’m missing the point, but 64 bit is no longer the exception.