IBM PPC 970MP A Reality?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
I was just looking at this, can somebody say IBM just let the cat out of the bag big time. :p

It's a little harder to hide this than the 970GX scandal.

Michiro was absent for a long time (months and months) and drops this on ARS Technica. :D

Edit: In case IBM sees the need to close the page. ;)

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
quagmire said:
IBM confirms the PPC 970MP. IBM talks about cooling the monster and how the thermal diodes keep it from exceeding its maximum temperature. Which could also clue us in the dual core G5 Powerbooks and how it may cool itself down, when they do come out.

http://www-306.ibm.com/chips/techlib/techlib.nsf/techdocs/7ADD0446E94B93ED87256FC30083B0A9
once again, i'm highly doubting the 970 will make it into powerbooks... it's still way to hot. they may use some technology from this but i am thinking you'll see dualcore G4's from freescale for awhile.. they are just much more better suited for laptops. ibook will get what the powerbook has and the powerbook will get dual core..

i've been wrong before.. but i'm doubting you'll see a G5 in a powerbook anytime soon.. also just realize that the Powerbooks were just updated.. after a year of being stagnant... glad i bought mine when those were just released last year.. woulda been a long wait! You might see ibm working on something like an actual laptop processor PPC though i wouldn't expect anything for at least another year. which is why i say we'll see dual-core G4's around january-february next year :)

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
daveway00 said:
I knew it! They're feeling the heat from Intel that says they're ready to ship dual core this month.

:Steve jumps out window:
here's for hoping it's dual processor dual-core chips ;) THAT might make me buy one.. i won't be so willing to spring for a single dual core machine...

it isn't intel you gotta look out for anymore.. AMD is the one to look out for, their Athlon64 just totally rocks...

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
IBM has posted an application note in direct reference to a dual 64-bit core PowerPC970MP and how to use thermal diodes in the chip. This is the first known reference of a dual-core chip to be made by IBM in regards to the PowerPC 970 (otherwise known as Apple's G5 Processor). The article and reference gives credence to the recent rumors of the UI changes to the Apple CHUD Developer tools, and MONster.app showing support for 4 processors.
The dual 64-bit core PowerPC970MP™ (970MP) is the next evolutionary step in the PowerPC 970 family of microprocessors. The higher frequency grade versions of the 970MP consume higher amounts of power than earlier IBM microprocessors do, and that can cause temperature issues. Each 970MP processor core contains a thermal diode used to monitor its operating temperature. The thermal diode must be monitored to ensure that the maximum operating temperature of the 970MP is not exceeded. These thermal diodes used by the microprocessors are unique to the PowerPC architecture and cannot be ‘read’ using standard thermal diode monitoring chips. This paper will discuss the characteristics of the diode and outline the struc-ture of a thermal diode monitoring circuit used to monitor the temperature of the microprocessor’s cores.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
I hope this technology makes it through the line quickly. I like the idea (fantasy) that in a year or two all macs will be dual-core or dual processor systems.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Sweet, PowerMac Dual Dual G5, here we come :D

Wonder what the highest clock speed will be on the MP?

quagmire

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Logik said:
once again, i'm highly doubting the 970 will make it into powerbooks... it's still way to hot. they may use some technology from this but i am thinking you'll see dualcore G4's from freescale for awhile.. they are just much more better suited for laptops. ibook will get what the powerbook has and the powerbook will get dual core..

i've been wrong before.. but i'm doubting you'll see a G5 in a powerbook anytime soon.. also just realize that the Powerbooks were just updated.. after a year of being stagnant... glad i bought mine when those were just released last year.. woulda been a long wait! You might see ibm working on something like an actual laptop processor PPC though i wouldn't expect anything for at least another year. which is why i say we'll see dual-core G4's around january-february next year :)
If you were following TS's reports about the MP, GX, TS back in August, they also talked about low power G5's. Many people speculated the GX is the low power G5 due to IBM's history of the GX processor family. I have no respect for the the G4. IBM will increase its FSB faster then the 67 Mhz Moto squeezed out of the G4 when it debuted 6 years ago at 100 Mhz. Yes, it is a good laptop chip, but I feel the G5 pbook will come by WWDC or Paris. MWSF '06 by the latest.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Wow, sweet! Do you guys think we'll see this technology make it to lappys anytime soon? I'm kinda doubting it, especially considering the temperature issues they were talking about.

TrumanApple

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2005
Powermac Updates

Seriously though, i think this means that new powermacs will be announced at WWDC using these new processors. Probibly top out at like 2.8 ghz or so, with major improvements in real speed.

Many people are holding out on buying computers because of tiger. It makes sense that apple would release tiger in mid april and get many people to quit waiting purly to get a hold of tiger that comes with new machines. Then 2 months later at WWDC new powermacs and powerbooks (another g4, or no powerbooks).

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Rob587 said:
so what does this mean? g5 powerbooks? lol...
This means dual-core processors. You can have a dual processor machine and only take the space of a single one.

Not PowerBook G5's, because they'll run even hotter than normal G5's.

But iMac Dual G5's, or eMac Dual G5's, or PowerMac Quad G5's...

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
Well... I hope that is the next iteration of PowerMac. Hot or not, I want one. If people's houses have not burned down from a P4, I'm not worried. :D

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Mudbug said:
either a roughly double-performance G5 chip, or what we may come to know as the G6... in a nutshell.
I doubt that. I think the G6 will be a POWER5 based PowerPC 980.

This'll just be a dual G5 that takes the space of a single G5.

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
GFLPraxis said:
This means dual-core processors. You can have a dual processor machine and only take the space of a single one.

Not PowerBook G5's, because they'll run even hotter than normal G5's.

But iMac Dual G5's, or eMac Dual G5's, or PowerMac Quad G5's...
Well faster never hurts :D

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
AoWolf said:
So for those of us non processor people what does this mean for apple?
It means that you can have a near-performance equivalent of the current dual Power Mac G5s in a lower-cost system (one processor with dual cores). Thus, the low-end, single-processor Power Macs can now use this 970MP and perform just about as well as the current highest-end dual Power Mac (assuming that the clock speeds are similar).

Beyond that, you could use two of these new 970MP processors and have a system with significantly better performance that the current dual Power Mac G5s.

It's almost like getting two processors for the price of one (since one 970MP contains two PPC970 cores). And in the case of a Power Mac with two 970MP processors you'd be getting the near equivalent of a four processor system. The performance won't scale exactly by 2X, but it should be a pretty big jump.