Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: IBM says building better microchips is kind of like baking a cake.

Originally posted by edvniow

Yummy.

That would be an understatement. It means the could possibly get massively parallel machines in a smaller footprint. Imagine a 32 processor chip the size of a G4 chip today? Again, the potential for the future is increasing - maybe I should just go take a really long nap and wake up 10 years from now......

D

ArtificialUser

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2002
I remember reading about 3d processors like this, I think it was in a book called "Minds, Machines and the Multiverse." If I remember correctly, one of the problems with chips like this is the enormous amount of heat they produce -- it said about as much as a nuclear reactor, though this was a pop-sci book. Though definitely much much more heat than current processors...

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Heat would be an issue at the core of the chip, but I can't imagine that they would say that its possible without having a solution to the problem. But if it needs to have a cooling system, that might put such a chip outside the range of the desktops.

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.