IBM Thinkpad R52 issues

Discussion in 'Alternatives to Mac Hardware' started by WabbalaFlumpkin, Feb 26, 2018.

1. WabbalaFlumpkin macrumors member

WabbalaFlumpkin

I have been repairing an IBM Thinkpad R52, I got it working for awhile, however recently the computer has failed to boot properly, it says that it cannot detect the HDD, this happened suddenly and without any signs of failure. I have not opened the machine since it was last working, what could be the potential issues with this machine?

2. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Mobo failure or possibly the HD power/data connector. I would also try a new drive. I actual have one of these that is still working fine on it's original drive.

3. WabbalaFlumpkin thread starter macrumors member

WabbalaFlumpkin

All original parts, except for the HDD which I upgraded. The computer would beep and give me a screen showwing that the HDD wasn't correctly formatted for the machine, it still worked though. I tried installing Puppy Linux and the machine couldn't detect a HDD.

4. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I would try a fresh lubuntu install on it. May just be a driver issue with puppy.

5. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

I agree. Puppy Linux specializes in minimalism. I'd recommend something like Linux Mint or Lubuntu. They're designed to be more general purpose distros and have wider driver support. I use Linux Mint Mate on my "newer" vintage ThinkPads (like the X131e) and Lubuntu has been terrific on my T42 (which is older than the R52).

6. WabbalaFlumpkin thread starter macrumors member

WabbalaFlumpkin

I only tried Linux because the computer didn't boot at all, it said it couldnt find an OS! It used to have Windows XP and it worked great! I'm starting to suspect HDD failure.

7. Mikael H macrumors 6502a

Generally in troubleshooting, go for the most obvious thing to try first. In this case, I would first remove and re-insert the hard drive to test the connection between the components, and secondarily connect a different hard drive (or preferably an SSD if you intend to keep the computer) and see if the computer detects it correctly. A main board failure is way down on the list of probable causes unless your computer has had liquid spilled into it or similar.

8. WabbalaFlumpkin thread starter macrumors member

WabbalaFlumpkin

https://gyazo.com/f446eb4af9b08d1a9b08e3db688680a4
    Worked fine until one day it started saying this...
    I an able to boot multiple versions of linix from a flash drive, and can even start installing XP from a disc, however none of them could detect a HDD in the PC. I haven't opened up the IBM yet.