IBM Thinkpad Tablet or Macbook??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tkepongo, Nov 13, 2007.

1. tkepongo macrumors regular

tkepongo

Hi, my Sony Vaio is starting to break down so I'm about to buy a new laptop. I'm an Accounting major with a minor in Communication so I'm debating which laptop will last at least 4 years and will be good for my major and minor.

2. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

It's not gonna make a big difference, IMO.

Well, ask yourself, do you like Macs or PCs more?

3. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

since you're asking the question in a mac forum, most probably will recommend the macbook I guess;)

Just buy the one you like...maybe play around with OS X in a store near you to see if you like Leopard and then make the decision.....I'd take the MB though:D

4. mostro900 macrumors member

Go on, do it !!

You're clearly a Windows user, yet you're looking here. I've owned Thinkpads for the last 13 years and wouldn't use another Windows based laptop, however....I just put down for a MPB. I want ease of use, longevity(at least 3 years) for use and something that is not going to crap out on me unexpectedly.
    I ran Linux about 3 years ago for a year or so, but found it just needed too much tinkering, otherwise I would have stayed with that.

The Thinkpad tablet is a great bit of hardware, but it runs Windows. The Mac(any Mac) is well designed from a hardware perspective and the software ties in perfectly to that design. Can't wait to get my own in a couple of days.

ps. even though I don't own one yet, I have spent enough time on borrowed machines. cheers.

5. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

6. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

I was in the same boat as you...the thinkpad tablet looked really attractive, but then I thought to myself - why do I really need a tablet? I don't think the tech is there yet - it just doesn't feel like paper. And the computer being over an inch thick makes it feel awkward to write on. I went for the macbook pro, and never looked back. I bring it to school every day and rely on it for notetaking. works great.

but common...in a mac forum...nobody here will recommend you the PC...and I think by posting here, that's what you want to hear. I know you want the mac...lol...just get it!

7. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

While I can't recommend a Thinkpad, as I've never used one, I would recommend the MacBook :) I think in the end it would come down to better hardware/software compatibility, the ability to use OS X and Windows, and it just looks better.

8. Anjux3 macrumors newbie

I'd go mac

As others have hinted it may be a matter of what you are used to...however I have been using my new Lenovo ThinkPad at work for a month now but much prefer working on my now three and a half year old G4 Powerbook - it is still faster, more responsive and less prone to hangs and crashes than the ThinkPad - and I don't worry about viruses.:)

9. tkepongo thread starter macrumors regular

tkepongo

Thanks alot for the input. Yes, I've been a windows user since I was 8 but I'm an Apple fan and kinda want to mix things up so that's why i'm on the Mac forums. Alright, hopefully there will be some good black friday deals this year so i can get my mac

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You can also go into:
    store.apple.com

Look for "Special Deals" near bottom right. Different Macs come and go.

11. hexproject macrumors member

i have both and love it. there are plus and minus.

i have been using IBM for the past 7+ years. Gone thru about IBM 10+ laptops.( keep on upgrading, nothing wrong with it, just need more powerful machine when it comes out)
    IBM machines doesn't crap out at all.

But just depends on what you use it for.
    IBM = more corporate. good for traveling.
    MB = cooler crowd. good for video/photo editing.

I personally travel a lot and I would take the IBM over the MB because i have dropped my IBM several times.. nothing happens.

But for MB, not made for traveling that much.
    if i am at home, then MB is better.

12. ryanmcd02 macrumors member

I think you should consider what you are doing with the computer in regards to your major or the job you want to get with your major. There are some programs for business that will be windows only, although now with a little extra money that doesn't matter so much. If you get your MBA, this could matter. But if you work for a business doing accounting, they will provide you with a laptop and they won't want you to use the one you are purchasing now for their information anyways, so you might as well just get whatever you are comfortable with.

13. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

From your stated requirements, Thinkpad, beyond a doubt.