Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
MacBidouille claims that IBM is charging Intel more for SOI (Silicon on Insulator) technology licensing then other companies

Intel, just as AMD and Nvidia did, would have asked for an SOI license. Whereas the two others pay close to nothing, IBM would have asked Intel to pay US$ 500 Millions plus US$ 45 per manufactured processor.

isus

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2004
i guess intel has a choice to make.

either way, they are behind amd and ibm by still not having a consumer 64-bit cpu.

njfuzzy

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2004
Boston, MA
This isn't news. Of course Intel would pay more than AMD or nVidia... They sell a lot more units.

Even if the charge were more per unit, it isn't surprising. When you are number 2 or 3 in a market, you won't sell the number 1 guys your technology for as little as you would to other people.

bubbagump

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2003
Also, I believe AMD and Nvidia do a lot of manufacturing with IBM. Intel would probably never manufacture with IBM because they have considerable investments in their own plants. Therefore, IBM has a vested interest in increasing volume of these products and royalties propably remain scant in comparison to manufacturing earning.

Bubba

ionas

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2003
Old Europe
har good boy

big blue is bag in biz, big time.

now lets hope someone will disturb ibm in other market segements, like notebooks and low and midrange servers...

we dont want ibm to be that monopoly it was back in days, right?

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Originally posted by Henriok
$45 per chip seems a bit much. IBM would probably earn more per Intel-made chip than its own chips. Strange.

Just think. Intel isn't going to pay for that out of their own pockets... you could be certainly sure the processor pricetag will increase.

PS - Thanks for posting this Arn. I wanted to hear what everyone elses feedback on the subject.

Rincewind42

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2003
Orlando, FL
Originally posted by bubbagump
Also, I believe AMD and Nvidia do a lot of manufacturing with IBM. Intel would probably never manufacture with IBM because they have considerable investments in their own plants. Therefore, IBM has a vested interest in increasing volume of these products and royalties propably remain scant in comparison to manufacturing earning.

Your the first person who commented who I think gets it :) . The point of such an expensive agreement between IBM and Intel would be to secure IBM's rights to the technology. Right now for AMD & nVidia, IBM is providing their expertise and facilities to churn out chips, and for that I'm certain that IBM makes a healthy per-chip profit that is completely undisclosed. Intel however would want to not manufacture with IBM, but take the actual process home with them, and as such IBM has to protect it's investment in developing SOI.

It's like the difference between selling someone a fish, and selling them a fishing pole. Sell them the fish and they will come back tomorrow for another, but sell them the pole and you may never see them again. I can't see IBM as wanting to give away what amounts to their crown jewels without some major profit coming back to them.

dho

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
California
I find this very interesting. Is there any posibilty of this being illegal? As in making life very hard for a competitor? I dont pretend to know much about the laws on this issue, anyone have any input?

VIREBEL661

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2003
Man, I think this is totally EXCELLENT! I mean, M$ is dumping intel for x2 (or whatever), and now intel has to pay IBM for their technological innovations? And what processors do Mac's run? Anyone?
All I remember is all this fud coming from intel 'Apple has made the wrong choice in processors all along - RISC is unamerican' (or whatever, I'm paraphrasing from memory, you get the idea)... More shades of gray, no? They teach in comp school about 'standardization'... Reality is, the more diverse a network or system setup is, the less it'll have trouble when these nasty infections pop up... Overall good news for Mac users, and more proof that we've chosen the right path all along.

jimjiminyjim

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2003
Canada
The other side

In the long run, this is good. Intel will be forced into a)funding IBM which supports apple or b)Innovating, and innovation breeds innovation - over the years.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Re: IBM vs Intel and SOI

Originally posted by Macrumors
MacBidouille claims that IBM is charging Intel more for SOI (Silicon on Insulator) technology licensing then other companies
Shouldnt this title be reworded since it hasnt happened yet? It should say IBM will or may charge Intel if they decide to use this process shouldnt it?

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
Originally posted by dho
I find this very interesting. Is there any posibilty of this being illegal? As in making life very hard for a competitor? I dont pretend to know much about the laws on this issue, anyone have any input?

You are free to make life hard for a competitor. How about this for an analogy:

Apple would have had to license the Mac OS (or at least the GUI part) to Microsoft or Dell or ... from 1984 to 1995.

Look at it this way: they (Apple or IBM) made the product, they don't have to license it if they don't want, and if they decide to do so, they can under whatever terms they want since it is there discovery.

It would be like forcing Coke to license its formula to Pepsi (or the reverse if you prefer Pepsi).

It is there property and they can use it as they see fit.

fatbarstard

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2003
New Zealand
Oooh - Looks Like Ramsey Pricing......

This looks rather interesting if it is all true... IBM - holder of the technoloyg looks like it is pricing the technology on the basis of ability to pay - which isn't a hell of a long way from ramsey pricing...

Its an economic theory of pricing, but if I says anymore I'll bores ya ta sleep!! ;)

Becuase Intel are the 64,000lb gorilla (not 64 bit chip gorilla) in the processor space they are going to have to pony up... probbaly to the point where they save $1 by not developing the technology (or something similar) themselves...

ipiloot

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2001
Invested billions

All those latest problems of Intel (lack of 64bit proc; lack of SOI) make me wonder where the hell do they spend all their R&D billions? AFAIK they spend more on chip R&D than IBM. By a far margin.

Maybe the old truth is working again - it requires one smartass with enough resources in your competitors company to ruin your business. And all your investment dollars mean nothing.

stingerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2003
Be careful you don't take those R&D numbers too literally. For example, Microsoft spends half their R&D budget on Stock grants, not actual R&D. So much is classified under R&D that strictly is not R&D.

Anyway, Intel is stuck in a vicious cycle of extending a legacy ISA. There attempts to break free from it, the iTanium 1&2, have failed miserably because of Intel's reliance on Windows and Microsoft. Microsoft is dead in the water and can't innovate, leaving Intel with no new software for their new Itanium architecture. So their screwed. In the meantime IBM catches up and now starts passing Intel, which finds itself a few years and Watts behind.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Originally posted by dho

Nope. Even if IBM was in a monopoly position, it wouldn't be an anti-trust violation for them to refuse to license patented technology to a competitor.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Strictly speaking, Intel cannot "develop" the same technology, as it is patented by IBM. Even if they were to develop SSOI, if the SOI component fell under the claims of IBMs SOI patent, then they could not produce chips using that technology without licensing SOI technology from IBM.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
This is GREAT news!

Originally posted by Snowy_River
Strictly speaking, Intel cannot "develop" the same technology, as it is patented by IBM. Even if they were to develop SSOI, if the SOI component fell under the claims of IBMs SOI patent, then they could not produce chips using that technology without licensing SOI technology from IBM.

The article was good news for IBM, but with this being the case, IBM is even better off. I'm sure IBM will start to open up a lead over Intel since Intel is close to being stalled development-wise. Surely the SOI technology and subsequent SSOI technology will help IBM deliver better POWER and PowerPC chips than Intel's Pentium and Itanium chips.

DGFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2003
Originally posted by dho

It would only be illegal if you were a monopoly trying to protect your monopoly position.

There is nothing wrong with offering a sweet deal to a minor player in the market at the same time you stick it to the kingpin.

DGFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2003
Originally posted by Snowy_River
Nope. Even if IBM was in a monopoly position, it wouldn't be an anti-trust violation for them to refuse to license patented technology to a competitor.

Possibly. But in the rarified air of anti-trust law what's "illegal" and what's "legal" is generally determined by who can bring a winning lawsuit.

Monopolies that are competing unfairly can be forced to license technology. Look at what happened to Microsoft. They are being forced to license their IP because they unfair acted to maintain their monopoly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.