iBook 12" g4 800 mhz

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Ljw1976, May 7, 2009.

1. Ljw1976 macrumors member

got a secondhand one ex school use..but has the password there..

1 will this hamper my attempts to re install..

2 will it hamper my usage of what site i can use..

3 will it not let me use msn messenger live? as it says i have not internet service when i have the wire plugged in...

4 it will only play youtube clips to 17 seconds exact..and no further..how strange

last but not least..

5 the wifi has full signal and i have the passwords to the modem..but when using safari it doesnt want to connect and says i have no internet even though i have a ful signal from the modem that is transmitting

much appreciated kids on whatever u can help me with

:):confused:

2. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

1. No it should not, just insert a Mac OS X Leopard CD, or the CDs that came with the iBook, and hold down the C key.

2. No, the latest version of Safari should run just fine, and works with most websites. Other than websites that tout themselves as "Internet Explorer" only, this could be solved technically by just using Firefox.

3. Get the latest version of messenger from http://messenger.msn.com/ or http://www.mactopia.com/ Windows Live messenger will work just fine on a mac.

4. This could be fixed with the reinstallation of your OS. Is there a working battery installed? I have noticed that YouTube and other processor intesive applications do not work well in PPC Macs without a working battery installed. The battery provides the Mac with the extra umph needed to process, I guess. Apple reccomends you keep the battery in for this very reason.

5. make sure you type in your Wi-fi password into the Airport dialog box when it asks you for it, when you select your network from the list.

Hope this helps.

3. Ljw1976 thread starter macrumors member

I forgot to inform the public...
    I have 10.3 and some friend have said it will not load up latest flash player
    That maybe why it pauses at 17 seconds

Also I downloaded the latest msn but still says I have no Internet service even with the cable in and I'm able to surf normally

Also I've already got the password for the modem but still no Internet even though it shows the signal strength being full

Thanks alot people hoping you can sort out a lost soul

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

5. Ljw1976 thread starter macrumors member

ok not macbook but ibook i do appologise

but any more info on what maybe wrong with it..?

and will a fresh install erease all the problems i have..

cos i feel that the school admin / tech guy blocked alot of the main use of the laptop....

cheers all

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

- Probably the fresh install will fix all the major problems, yes, I'd just do it. :eek:

- The Youtube issue doesn't sound like it's caused by the version of Flash. Typically, were your version not new enough (I'm pretty sure Youtube works with some fairly old versions of Flash, at least as far back as 8.x), it would fail to work completely, not start playing and stop.

- The MSN, Safari, and Youtube issues all sound like they're caused by a problem in your network setup more than anything like administrative blocking, although I guess it's possible. You could probably just make a new Location and then set up the network from scratch.

7. Ljw1976 thread starter macrumors member

ok ok gracias all

as u can tell i am a total newbie to this mac business..

and can tell u guys are dedicated mac helpers..

so my next question is

example..

is there a mac osx for educational use..??

if so can i take all the admistrative blackades off...example...i downloaded the latest msn 7 but its there on screen but no install...why...but let me install rtcw and actually loads up..???

last but not least for now.....

sorry to be a pain

but i have full signal with my wifi on the mac as it shows..

and i gave it the password to the heavenly road to the internet...but yet when i try to use safari or i.e...it saysSERVER NOT FOUND

cos the server google could not be found..???

gracias all

a bientot

as i havent contributed to this site and have only asked questions..

i will donate a very stylish skin for the ibook which my mate will help ,me create

feast your eyes on this link..
    well i thought it looked cool

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ottawastreetstyle/2395987132/

please help me out heheheh im a total newbie

comon kids..

i also wanted to ask.....if the game rtcw will run on it 800 mhz 256 ram ibook g4!!!gracias all