Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
CA
zach said:
i'll slam the 14", but not cause of resolution. i can seriously see people needing to use a 14" because of the larger pixels.

however, the size of the machine is unacceptable.

it's a beast. it's as tall as the 15" powerbook, weighs MORE, etc.

if they could trim down the iBook bezels like they did on the PowerBooks, the 14" would be a great option, but it feels like the size of a dell inspiron in the form factor it has.

i hate it.

i am so terribly sorry that the iBook 14" irks you day and night. :rolleyes:

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
CA
AcousticDoc said:
I thought the 12 inch would strain my eyes as well....just enlarge the text and everythings good!

It's not the text size that bothers me, I don't believe... I think it's just because everything is cramped together in a small 12" screen and that I have to focus my eyes into this little area and my eyes probably arent used to it. Meh, I'll try it out at the store later.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
MUCKYFINGERS said:
It's not the text size that bothers me, I don't believe... I think it's just because everything is cramped together in a small 12" screen and that I have to focus my eyes into this little area and my eyes probably arent used to it. Meh, I'll try it out at the store later.

I agree. It's not the text size, it's the physical size of the screen.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
zach said:
i'll slam the 14", but not cause of resolution. i can seriously see people needing to use a 14" because of the larger pixels.

however, the size of the machine is unacceptable.

it's a beast. it's as tall as the 15" powerbook, weighs MORE, etc.

if they could trim down the iBook bezels like they did on the PowerBooks, the 14" would be a great option, but it feels like the size of a dell inspiron in the form factor it has.

i hate it.

I'll agree with you on the weight. But I also love it for other reasons. I've dropped mine three times now. It's fine. I couldn't do that with a PB and still have a usable or presentable machine.

Peter Griffin

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2005
leekohler said:
I'll agree with you on the weight. But I also love it for other reasons. I've dropped mine three times now. It's fine. I couldn't do that with a PB and still have a usable or presentable machine.

Isn't the difference in weight only 1 pound between the 12 and 14?

realmcenter

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2005
Denver, CO
Peter Griffin said:
Same question I'm asking....If you up the 12" harddrive to 60 gb its only a 100 dollar difference. I'm seriously considering a 14" since I think a 12" would be too small. Keep in mind this is my primary and I don't intend on buying an external monitor unless I must. Have any of you out there used a 12 incher for everything?
My 12" iBook has become my primary computer and the screen-size does not bother me at all. The LCD is sharp enough and luckily the backlight can be dimmed down enough (in a dim room) to make it very easy to see. I wish it had a slightly higher resolution, 1152x864 would be nice, but that's about it. The portability of the thing is excellent and the 14" isn't nearly so portable and I saw no real benefits to the thing over the 12".

wako said:
Im doing exactly what you are doing

I see no real reason for anyone to get a superdrive UNLESS they actually do plan on making movies or burning them. Even at that you could always make a VCD...

I say go with the combo!
I use a Lite-On DVD+/-RW I put in an external USB 2.0 enclosure and it works excellent. I have no need to burn DVDs on the go so it works out well for me and from what I have read about the iBook SuperDrives, it is faster than those, too. DVD burners aren't just for burning DVD movies, they are very handy for data backup and I highly recommend getting one for that purpose.

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
Go for the 14". I know people have different opinions, but I don't find anything qrong with mine. I find the screen fine, even though it is the same res, and the weights not a bother, it's not exactly the ton.

...my two cents.

::20ROGERSC::

ohfamilyjapan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
FINAL ANSWER...

Thanks for all the input!

I'm going to order tomorrow the...

14 inch ibook with combo drive.

What drove my decision was viewing for DVD's and powerpoint on the larger screen, plus the very small difference in price (with the extra hard drive space and tiny speed difference). Haven't had a non 12-inch laptop for a while (since the first G4 powerbook 15 inch). Hope it's not too heavy that I don't want to bring it around with me.

It will find a very happy home with my dual 2 gig G5 tower.

Best of luck to other ibook buyers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.