Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fallenapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
I have been doing research for the past three months, monitoring my computer use, and watching new releases for Apple. I am finally ready to purchase a new laptop but need a few more details from you all.

Looking at the 12" ibook. But would consider strong arguments for the 14" ib or perhaps a pb.

Needs:
Internet - including downloading music
Email
Quicken
moderate use of Word, Excel, PP
light photo editing

*** Big kicker here. My wife has a Dell laptop she uses for work. Since we will go wireless with the purchase of the apple laptop, are there any compatibility issues that I should consider between teh two computers - going with Apple airport or buying something like D-link wireless router?***:confused:

mraila

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2005
stick with the 12"

12" and 14" iBook have the same resolution - the 14" just uses bigger pixels. Stick with the 12" as it is smaller (laptops are supposed to be portable, right?!) and cheaper.

For your needs the PowerBook would be a waste of money. I've used both and the iBooks are great. Use the money to max-out the RAM in your new iBook.

I use a Mac with Airport Extreme and my wife uses a Gateway PC. we share the same wireless internet connection through the wireless router given to us by Verizon. Never had a problem.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
fallenapple said:
Looking at the 12" ibook. But would consider strong arguments for the 14" ib or perhaps a pb.

Needs: <snip>

*** Big kicker here. My wife has a Dell laptop she uses for work. Since we will go wireless with the purchase of the apple laptop, are there any compatibility issues that I should consider between teh two computers - going with Apple airport or buying something like D-link wireless router?***:confused:
I highly doubt compatibility issues w/ using the D-link router-- I use a linksys router w/out any problems and when I'm out and about, my AE has no problems picking up others' wireless networks. ;)

As for your choice, the 12" iBook seems perfect for your needs. The 12" PB would be overkill and the 14" iBook is only really needed if you NEED an all-in-one package including a DVD burner or if your eyes feel better looking at the 1024 resolution over 14" versus the same resolution on the smaller 12" screen.

I know you don't have it yet, but congrats! :D

fallenapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
Thank you very much for the feedback. It feels good to be back in Mac (Apple).

Looks like I will have lots of fun this weekend.

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
fallenapple said:
Thank you very much for the feedback. It feels good to be back in Mac (Apple).

Looks like I will have lots of fun this weekend.
Enjoy.
I have the 12" iBook (see sig). It's just fantastic.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
fallenapple said:
Since we will go wireless with the purchase of the apple laptop, are there any compatibility issues that I should consider between teh two computers - going with Apple airport or buying something like D-link wireless router?
The D-link will definitely work. I use a Westell router that was provided by Verizon with my DSL service. My iBook, my old Toshiba laptop, and a PC desktop using a D-link adapter all hook up to the WAP effortlessly.

The main thing you might gain by going with the Airport Extreme, is range, and range extension using Airport Express. WDS, which is the protocol that allows the Express to act as a local range extender is not implemented on many of the non-Apple WiFi WAPs out there, this has been one of the reasons I keep considering switching to an AirPort Extreme.

Note also that I have the 14" iBook from the last rev. There are only two reasons to go for it over the 12".

1) SuperDrive (which I didn't get). You can always move data off onto an external drive and burn it on another box.
2) The larger screen. It helps if you want to use the box for shared displays, where more than one person may want to be watching a DVD, movie or an iPhoto slideshow at a time.

Otherwise, the 12" is the same box, but is far more portable.

B

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I now own a 14 and 12 and a pb.

I hate to say it, but i love the 14" over the pb for writing and my all round desktop computer.

As for portability, the 12 wins hands down. It is so small and yet does so much.

but I do notice that during interviews -- I am a writer -- I can't easily access the screen while other people are talking etc. I need the 14" and will be taking it on a business trip next week instead of the 12 inch.

But the pb is somehow remaining in its box. If I was into video editing or some more intensive tasks or gaming, I guess I would use it more. I think I am going to have to sell it; even though the screen has better res than the ibooks, it's just sitting around.

I guess the 14" ibook is the all around winner, for me. But if you are under 25 with 20/20 vision? Go for the 12 iBook.

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
If you've been looking through the threads you will also see that wireless reception on the iBook is far superior to that of the Powerbooks - it looks as though that beautiful, fragile aluminium case also shags the reception - the plastic case on the iBook, which besides looking more 'Apple', being stronger and more rugged, less able to transmit lap-burning heat through the casing and generally cooler stylewise, also impedes wireless reception much less than on the Powerbooks.

When you've made the right choice and bought the iBook, any time you yearn for the Powerbook, wrap your iBook in aluminium foil, matt side out, to emulate the look and total your wireless reception in much the same manner as the real thing! :D :D

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
Marky_Mark said:
When you've made the right choice and bought the iBook, any time you yearn for the Powerbook, wrap your iBook in aluminium foil, matt side out, to emulate the look ...

One never knows -- maybe that is the creative way for some to satisfy their inner desire for a PB without paying extra for it. The real trendy combo may be one iBook coupled with one box of Reynolds aluminum foil.

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
Deepdale said:
One never knows -- maybe that is the creative way for some to satisfy their inner desire for a PB without paying extra for it. The real trendy combo may be one iBook coupled with one box of Reynolds aluminum foil.

Heh heh! Maybe some enterprising reseller will create a bundle offer - 12" iBook and 20m of turkey wrap!! :D

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
Marky_Mark said:
Heh heh! Maybe some enterprising reseller will create a bundle offer - 12" iBook and 20m of turkey wrap!! :D

I am sure more bizarre offerings have been made ... that is what keeps this world of ours interesting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.