iBook '13 vs MBP '15

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by SeaWind12, Aug 15, 2009.

1. SeaWind12 macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of buying a new computer to replace my iBook. is new MBP a lot better at performance to iBook? Is it worth of switch? Thank you everyone. Huge mac fan, since the days nobody believed in Apple. And I made my dad switch to it to, and he doesn't regret it.

I want to switch partially because Snow Leopard won't be supported on my old machine, partially because it's a bit slow.

2. ThundrChicken macrumors newbie

Asking whether the new MacBook Pro (Presumably the 13") is better in performance to the iBook, is like asking whether a brand new McLaren SLR is faster than a 12 year old Mercedes SL. In other words, its a day and night difference. The technology from the iBook to the MacBook Pro is significant. :D

3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Yes. You won't regret getting a MBP.

4. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

You will see a big speed upgrade but, I would go against the flow here and advice you to read up on all the hardware bugs that the new 13" and 15" have at this time. I would not advice to buy these models at this moment without knowing all the issues that plague them. Issues that are unresolved at this time.

I would not buy a computer that have this much chance of running into these hardware bugs giving you a hanging and freezing computer for 20 seconds happening for some multiple times in an hour. I usually love Apple's products but you should know about these issues and if you have a working computer wait out for solutions to these problems. Next update of the MacBook Pro line is rumored to be out at years end.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

since the iBook is several years old, on the old PPC platform, yeah I'd say you'd notice a nice bump in performance.

You're going to get a much better GPU
    Faster ram
    Faster frontside bus
    A much faster CPU
    A faster hard drive

I don't think there's a component in the MBP that has not realized a big improvement in performance over the iBook

Finally the unibody MBP looks cool :D

6. Cybbe macrumors 6502

I recently did the transition from an iBook to the MBP 13". I probably kept using my iBook too long, as it was getting a wee bit too slow even for everyday use. You will notice a very significant difference in all tasks, from browsing to text-editing. Also, PPC computers are at the end of the line. Apple has stopped making new software compatible, and I suspect many of the companies that have kept support for PPC will also pull the plug (Adobe has already said new version of CS will be intel only).

I also think the hardware issues mentioned by Frosties are exaggerated. I wouldn't hold back if I were you.

7. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

could you elaborate on these problems?

8. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Yep. Just go for it.

9. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

It's a game of chance if you run into these problems but as you see it is a significant number of users that have these issues to warrant a warning of it and to figure it into your purchase decision.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2054387&tstart=0

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2049659&tstart=0

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=727453

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=729883

http://vimeo.com/5854152

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZy-qe5xphQ

10. Griff110 macrumors member

Just recently bought a 13" MBP, 2.26 GHZ, 2 GB memory, and have had no problems at all, I find this little mac fine for everything I need, I will up the ram at some stage, and also when the ssd's come down in price/up in size I will invest in one of those. But I personally think this wee mac is a belter :D

11. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Goes for ppl that have used 3rd party harddrives, also many don't suffer from these problems even with 3rd party HDs
    The ASG model is unsupported by apples own G-Protection Get the AS model

ASG drive again
    Same as first link u posted.. 3rd party HD and EFI upgrade
    If you upgrade your HD by ourself from a 3rd party vendor and then update the EFI, you MIGHT have a problem..

You make it sound like all MBPs are faulty...

12. Dr_Maybe macrumors 6502

Dr_Maybe

I've had iBooks and a Powerbook. Switching from a top of the line (17") Powerbook to a MBP 3 years ago was like day and night, the MBP being much faster.

So, with a Powerbook being faster than an iBook, and the current MBPs being faster than the ones from 3 years ago, the difference is huge.

There are iBook G4s that score about 20 in xbench. There are MBPs with SSDs that score over 200.

13. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Read this board. :rolleyes:

14. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

1. EFI 1.7 gives problems to factory default hard drives also. And no it's not just the shock protection for the beep drive. It's more. The board is changed indicated with a new color with the new shipped harddrives.
    2. No, I said you have a chance of running into this and it is good to factor in this issue. If you have a working computer why would you not wait for the fix to come.