Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hobalpha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2004
well i think i have narrowed it down to one of these two!!

does anyone know how good does live recording into garageband work on either of these?

is the pbook 12 worth it over the ibook 14, can they both do the same except burn dvd's?

what are your thoughts about the two?

thanks a lot, this website and forum and mostly the people that post here, have provided amazing insight and details about these great apple computers. Thanks!!

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
the 14-incher is much bigger and heavier, and doesn't offer any higher monitor resolution. I think the only reason to get it is if you think the pixels are too small on the 12-incher. For most people, if their eyesight is fine, the 12-inch monitor is fine. The main reason to get the powerbook over the iBook is if you want to burn DVDs, or if you want to use an external monitor. While the iBooks allow you to use an external monitor, it can only mirror what's already on the laptop's display. Even the 12-inch iBook should be fine for what you've said your requirements are--you might consider going that route and then maxing out your HD and RAM.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
i know others will mention this, but you can hack the iBook to allow monitor spanning. i don't know how, but i'm sure you can find out.

12" PB can have superdrive, as the prev. poster said, and has twice the L2 cache. the on-board RAM is 256 as opposed to 128 on the 14" iBook. battery life is a bit shorter, i think.

14" iBook have bigger pixels, as the prev. poster said. a little bigger and heavier overall.

i personally like the keyboard on the PB line, not to mention the looks of Al.

it's mostly personal taste. if you need bigger pixels, then 14" iBook it is, but if not, i'd compare 12" iBook and PB. if you are on the budget, get the iBook, if not, get the PB.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
There is a hack to allow the iBook to do multiple monitor setup. I installed it on my 12" iBook yesterday. All you do is run this little program, it asks for confirmation, your reboot, and it worked no problems. Now I can do multiple monitors from my 12" iBook. If I want to change it back all I have to do is run the program again. I was a little hesitant to do it at first but it worked like a charm. So don't let that be the factor to hold you back from an iBook. If you want a DVD-R drive in the iBook you can check out mcetech.com as they offer that option and it's supposedly compatible with iDVD according to their site although I would call and confirm that yourself just to be certain.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Originally posted by SilentPanda
If you want a DVD-R drive in the iBook you can check out mcetech.com as they offer that option and it's supposedly compatible with iDVD according to their site although I would call and confirm that yourself just to be certain.

it's $380. for that much, you might as well order a refurb PB with superdrive, if on a budget but wanting an iDVD compatible DVD burner. it won't void your warranty (not sure about this one) and you don't have to ship your machine anywhere.

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
G4 iBook 14" or 12" PB

1. iBooks outsell PB by far per Apple's own stats
2. PB is worth extra money if you need SuperDrive or love its design (Keyboard is excellent)
3. Othewise, iBook is solid choice since G4; max out RAM; 14" easier to see
4. LaCie d2 DVD-R/CD-R burner $269 for new 8x (only limitation, no iDVD) but it comes with
free ($89 value) Roxio Toast 6 full (make sure it says so on outside of box); and,
use Apple's DVD Studio Pro (get ED pricing) burns to external
5. Apple's FinalCut Pro4 ED is super cheap and best deal by far;
or, FinalCut Express discounted for everyone who purchase of new Mac

Also, hobalpha, check out this successful iBook G4 users thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59678

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
Re: ibook 14 vs. pbook12

Originally posted by hobalpha

does anyone know how good does live recording into garageband work on either of these?

The iBook dosen't have an audio line-in jack so if you intend recording a guitar or other non USB/Midi instrument you'll need to purchase an external audio dongle like the Griffin iMic. Which would work but probably not have comparable sound quality.

laserbeahm

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2004
Central Valley, CA
I found myself in the same dilema a while ago. It was very hard for me to choose between the iBook and PowerBook. The PowerBooks look so nice. I finally bit the bullet and went with the iBook. Even though the screen is only a couple of inches larger, it seems a lot bigger. The iBook has worked great for my needs. I was also impressed how they improved the iBooks keyboard. Unless you need to burn DVDs, go with the iBook.

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
Re: Re: ibook 14 vs. pbook12

Originally posted by Finiksa
The iBook dosen't have an audio line-in jack so if you intend recording a guitar or other non USB/Midi instrument you'll need to purchase an external audio dongle like the Griffin iMic, which would work but probably not have comparable sound quality.
To get far more acceptable sound quality and a lot more product for not much more money, consider:

Griffin PowerWave USB Audio Device $99
The PowerWave USB Audio Interface & Desktop Amplifier is a powerful and extremely flexible computer audio tool. With it you can record any mic or line input into your computer. Record your entire album collection to make CDs or MP3s. Hook-up a mic and musical instrument and turn your computer into a recording studio.
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...603/wo/qp3954DGzbbM2cknp0b11cTIQIi/1.3.0.5.10

M-Audio Mobilepre USB Bus-Powered Audio
(normally $150; discounted to $99 at MacMall)
2 x 2 USB audio interface; ideal for mobile operation; 2 microphone inputs (XLR balanced) with 48v phantom power; stereo microphone input (1/8”)
http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=153430

Mbox — Powerful Micro Studio Music Production System $449
Mbox is a 2-channel USB audio peripheral specifically engineered to offer you precision sound in a very small, very portable package. Powered by Pro Tools 5.2 LE software.
http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=972297
See IMAGE below

Attachments

• 972297_lg.jpg
    972297_lg.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 733

cmx08

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2004
Canada, GMA
14" 933 is the ONE IMPORTANT

GET MACWORLD MAGAZINE march 2004 and read page 26.

all the
iBooks G4 VS
PB G4 1Ghz and
iBook G3 900Mhz

With no S-Drive, all C-Drive

If you are a student using Discount and Cost matters

-And for 12", the iBook G4 is the one
-And for 14", the 933Mhz is the one
-And for 1Ghz, the 12" PB is the one

-12" iBook G4 is the fastest and cheapest
-14" 933Mhz is as fast as the 1Ghz by 2 secs slow only and it's cheaper
-for the cost of a 14' 1Ghz, the 12" PB is few pennies more and you get faster speed for Pro Prog by 50% faster and you also get input and Aluminium that is scratch resistant.

I have 2" iBook, one is G3 900Mhz and other G4 800Mhz and they get scratch too easily and I'm a very neat guy who use it as desktop replacement only.

Al is WAY MORE RESISTANT FOR STAIN. So if you want to pay for a 14" 1Ghz,

GET THE 12"PB

cmx08

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2004
Canada, GMA
12 PB for Pro Prog

I saw the title and wrote the first one w/o reading ur needs.

this one is after reading,

-------------

I don't know about GB, but PB
-for imovie and itunes speed is up to 20 sec faster.
- for PS and games it's also the same, faster.

Speedmark shows 11% faster over ibook 1ghz &
for programs like Cinema 4D XL 8.5. it's 50% faster in time.

I assume
GB is like Cinema, a very demanding Prog,
if you use GB, you like to play but music and Jam or some Pro Prog run smoother on PBs,

so it will be better to get the PB for
it's Cache
line in.
RAM expansion for max results.

NOTE:
on the same mag, on page 27,
they said it also, 14" 1Ghz not worth the extra over the 933Ghz.

12" G4 800 4/5
14" G4 933 3.5/5
14" G4 1Ghz 3/5

pjhawksr

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2003
Any word on PowerBook 12 updates?

I looking to buy and was wondering if anyone knows of some updates around the corner?

jkaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2004
Upper Mid West
Re: ibook 14 vs. pbook12

Originally posted by hobalpha

is the pbook 12 worth it over the ibook 14, can they both do the same except burn dvd's?

what are your thoughts about the two?

thanks a lot, this website and forum and mostly the people that post here, have provided amazing insight and details about these great apple computers. Thanks!!

always buy a powerbook over a comparable ibook EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK.

the powerbook will definately hold its value more than the ibook will.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Re: G4 iBook 14" or 12" PB

Originally posted by MacRAND
4. LaCie d2 DVD-R/CD-R burner $269 for new 8x (only limitation, no iDVD) but it comes with
free ($89 value) Roxio Toast 6 full (make sure it says so on outside of box);

off topic, but MacRAND, good stuff... i was tempted by this very same offer... as is, i don't do too many DVD projects yet and with the newest iDVD, all i'd need to do is find another Mac user with a superdrive, but this offer seemed really good.

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
G4 iBook 14" external FireWire SuperDrive option

Originally posted by jxyama
off topic, but MacRAND, good stuff... i was tempted by this very same offer... as is, i don't do too many DVD projects yet and with the newest iDVD, all i'd need to do is find another Mac user with a superdrive, but this offer seemed really good.
Yes, it is an excellent deal especially with the full version of Roxio Toast 6 included FREE.

Actually, I got the 4x on SALE at Phx Apple Store for just over $200 in Jan04, even knowing the 8x is already out and coming to a LaCie d2 near you ;)
Since I already had Toast 6, it was no incentive; and, I also have DVD Studio Pro, so "no iDVD" off my iBook is not problematic. Regardless, I have a 2x SuperDrive in my G4 Dual 1GHz, so I do burn with iDVD when I'm feeling lazy (often) and want something done down & dirty.

The real incentive for the LaCie d2 SD purchase was to back up iBook's ComboDrive - the SONY is doing the dance of death, won't burn CDs and needs PaperClip help to open. External SD FireWire was more versatile and cheaper than replacement of Combo...no brainer.

Future Plans are to install an 8x Pioneer internally as a 2nd SuperDrive inside the G4, which is a great duplication setup CD or DVD, a natural for Toasting.

I've used the LaCie d2 SuperDrive a lot, for mobile and as external for G4. It is quiet, solid and convenient.

DVD media 4.7 GigB backups of our Macintosh HD are getting to be beyond CD capacity, so DVDs are just plain convenient and cost effective considering time and trouble saved. CDs may be going the way of Floppy discs... :(

ryan

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2002
Denver, CO
Re: G4 iBook 14" or 12" PB

Originally posted by MacRAND
1. iBooks outsell PB by far per Apple's own stats
Source? I can't recall seeing Apple break down the sales down to that level.

cmx08

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2004
Canada, GMA
i don't know about it BUT, it's a big BUT and read

source, newspapers? :confused:

The number of school demanding more ibooks (imacs and emac, and power mac).

Only the rich can afford PB

can u recall it know?
US Elementary using ibooks
US HS using ibooks
Canada Elementary using ibooks
Canada HS closing deals for ibooks currently

wasn't my buz but ibooks are really everywhere. even College Prof. using ibooks instead of PB here in CANADA

but as usual, 1 15 Al buys 1 12 ibooks so, about revenue, i don't know.

about stock, Big Bro PB kisses iBooks ass.

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
G4 iBook 14" or 12" PB

Originally posted by ryan
Source? I can't recall seeing Apple break down the sales down to that level.
Q1 2004
201,000 iBooks
195,000 PowerBooks

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2004/jan/14results.html

Highlights from Apple's Q3 financial conference call
July 16, 2003 - 18:15 EDT
Apple has just concluded a conference call with financial analysts and press regarding the company's third quarter financial results. MacMinute was present and here are a few of the highlights of the briefing:
Apple shipped
771,000 Macs during the quarter (down 5% from last year)
287,000 iMacs and eMacs shipped (down 24%)
190,000 iBooks
shipped (up 12%)
161,000 PowerBooks
shipped (up 71%)
133,000 Power Mac G4s shipped (down 20%)
Current channel inventory at 4-5 weeks
Portables accounted for 46% of Macs sold
http://www.macminute.com/2003/07/16/conferencecall

NOTE: When new PowerBooks are released in a Quarter, PB sales often exceed iBook sales; otherwise, iBook sales by unit are usually higher than PB. Expect PB sales to go through the roof when the G5 PB models are shipped, as long as supply meets demand.

:cool:

techne1

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2004
Highland, IN
I don’t own a mac (yet!), but I think about them way too much. :) I was considering a 12” Powerbook or 14” Ibook myself. I finally decided (until I threw the 15” into the mix) that I’d rather have a 12” Powerbook. One of the main reasons was the ability to upgrade the RAM in the Powerbook to more than the Ibook’s 640. The more you can put in, the longer it’ll last you. You’ll be able to run the latest versions of recording software for quite some time. That was the most important to me, but I also considered the ability to do monitor spanning without a hack (warranty paranoia) which would make the 12” screen even more usable when I was at home and other more subjective things like the 12” Powerbook’s sleek styling. The cost difference when similarly equipped is negligible. You might have already done this, but here’s a price breakdown I did for myself (without any discounts, comparable features):

12” PB
• 1GHz PowerPC G4
• 256MB DDR266 (256MB built-in)
• 60GB Ultra ATA drive @ 4200rpm*
• Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
• AirPort Extreme Card
• Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
• 12.1-inch TFT Display
Subtotal $1,748.00

14” Ibook
• 256MB DDR266 (128MB built-in & 128MB SO-DIMM)
• 60GB Ultra ATA drive
• Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
• AirPort Extreme Card*
• Bluetooth Module*
• Keyboard/Mac OS X - U.S. English
• 14.1-inch TFT XGA display
• 1GHz PowerPC G4
Subtotal $1,648.00
*upgrades

Of course, a hundred dollars is a hundred dollars.. and you might not need/want Airport or Bluetooth making the Ibook even cheaper. But if you go with a 40gig HD on the 12” the difference is even less. Also, I noticed when I started saying “Oh, its just a hundred bucks!” it became much easier to rationalize the jump from $1748 for the 12” to $1999 for the 15”. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.